Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
The Orbiting
Forum Full Member

Remix The Orbiting
Sunday, June 01 2008 @ 12:30 AM CDT

Hi guys! A couple of years ago, Matt and I made the GB file for our song, Saturnine, available to any macjammer who wanted to monkey around with the sounds inside and post a remix, new version, cover it, or make a whole new song. It was a really a ton of fun and 18 or so new Saturnines came to life ranging in style from bossa nova to polka and covering almost everything in between. Some versions just used the vocals, some took the instrument tracks and did wild things. No two were the same and it was really cool to see how different artists reimagined the song. All of the versions are linked from our main artist page if anyone's interested in checking them out.

We had so much fun with that that we've always wanted to do it again and thought that our recent post, Wake Up, would be a good one to offer up to the community for the same kind of fun.

The original song can be heard here:

http://www.macjams.com/song/41405

The GarageBand file can be downloaded here. (I think it's around 30MB and it took me about 20 minutes to do a test download over broadband).

http://www.myotherdrive.com/file/237.243403.01062008.47154.0008fi/Wake%20Up%20Remix%20Compact.zip

Matt and I want anyone who takes the file to feel that they can have complete creative freedom and do whatever they like with it. Get crazy, go traditional, sing the song yourself, just use the vocal track, just use some of the instrument tracks, translate it into Swahili, whatever you'd like to do. Our only request is that any finished song only be posted here at macjams and not at any other online music site without our express permission and that your version be posted here at macjams with the same CC license as the existing Wake Up (Attribution-Non Commercial-No Derivs). We also allow downloading and podcasting of all our tracks and request that you do the same with any remix using material in this GarageBand file.

Have fun, guys! I hope this is something people find useful and can enjoy. It was fun the last time around and I can't wait to hear what people come up with. If you're going to do one, it would be great to hear from you in this thread, just to keep the thread viable for a little while, so that people have a chance to read it this week.

THANKS!

xo ledebutant
Skean
Forum Full Member

Re:Remix The Orbiting
Sunday, June 01 2008 @ 12:36 AM CDT

I d-load the files and we have to see if I can come up with something... Thx guys for this cool idea... it was fun last time and hopefully this time too.... :-D

I Almost Always Try to Think Positive Thoughts.
The Orbiting
Forum Full Member

Sunday, June 01 2008 @ 11:01 AM CDT

Quote by: Skean
I d-load the files and we have to see if I can come up with something... Thx guys for this cool idea... it was fun last time and hopefully this time too.... :-D

Hooray! Both of yours were very cool last time, Kenta. Looking forward to hearing what you do. Thank you.
Diviner
Forum Full Member

Sunday, June 01 2008 @ 11:30 AM CDT

Do you have any files which are not GB? As I would love to remix the track, but cannot use GB files.
The Orbiting
Forum Full Member

Sunday, June 01 2008 @ 12:11 PM CDT

Keith, the file is Logic-compatible, as well. Are you interested in having all the files or just the vocals?
Diviner
Forum Full Member

Sunday, June 01 2008 @ 12:29 PM CDT

I still only use Sony Acid Studio 7, I was considering to get Logic Express. So at the moment I might just need the vocals. Have just reminded myself of the song and how it sounds, its still a brilliant track. I'll certainly have a go, but I don't think it will close to the original as far as quality, the original rocks big time. Thanks for giving us the chance.
floppysurprise
Forum Chatty

Sunday, June 01 2008 @ 12:34 PM CDT

whoa, how do you share your garage band session for download!?

listen to my new post All Sorts Of Nonsense http://www.macjams.com/song/46258
ledebutant
Forum Full Member

Sunday, June 01 2008 @ 12:36 PM CDT

Quote by: Diviner
I still only use Sony Acid Studio 7, I was considering to get Logic Express. So at the moment I might just need the vocals. Have just reminded myself of the song and how it sounds, its still a brilliant track. I'll certainly have a go, but I don't think it will close to the original as far as quality, the original rocks big time. Thanks for giving us the chance.

The vocals are only three or so tracks, but the whole file is over 20, so I'd be happy to bounce down the isolated vocals to aiff and send them to you (as well as to anyone else who wants them). Drop me a note with your email and I'll try to ship them later today.

Don't worry about the original track. Make your own cool thing! You did some great stuff last time.
saymme
Forum Full Member

Sunday, June 01 2008 @ 12:53 PM CDT

Thats wonderful Lisa You're so good its a GREAT song, only heard the original yet (stopped by at the coffeehouse & got stuck there for some time as the Music there is so great!)! i updated my bio btw-just now Take Care Smile

Music Lives Forever

The Orbiting
Forum Full Member

Sunday, June 01 2008 @ 11:12 PM CDT

Quote by: floppysurprise
whoa, how do you share your garage band session for download!?

It's easy, floppy. All you have to do is find a place to host it online, either your own website, or a site like yousendit.com, then upload the file to that site, then distribute the URL to whomever you desire. It works for collaborations really well!