Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
racerat
Forum Full Member

HELP: Logic 9 install issue
Tuesday, June 28 2011 @ 11:55 PM CDT

Hi,

I have run into a problem in my install of Logic Pro 9 (the update to Logic 8). When I use the install disk the "Compressor" app installer is greyed out and I cannot install it. (in addition to Soundtrack Pro and some other stuff I don't really need) There is a terminal fix on the Apple site which says that there is a conflict with iLife '11 that causes this. I have done the terminal fix and it doesn't solve it. The fix is described here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3580

I also have tried a fix I found on the web which installed the new version of Compressor successfully, but after doing the requisite "Software Update" via the Finder, the Compressor app and the QMaster app will not launch at all. That fix is listed here:

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/blog/posts/how_to_reinstall_compressor_and_qmaster.html

I finally decided to uninstall the Compressor app and Qmaster all together. The process to do that was found on the Apple site here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1888?viewlocale=en_US

It looks like Compressor and Qmaster are used mainly by Final Cut Studio and Soundtrack Pro, neither of which I use at all. In fact, do I need to have either of these apps installed or working at all to have Logic Pro 9 function normally? If not, I won't even bother with them. I have launched Logic Pro and bounced a project successfully since I have uninstalled both programs.

I had a conversation with Apple Support today and they are going to call me back tomorrow. But, their suggestions so far have been draconian, i.e. reinstall the OS and start over - and- uninstall all iLife apps then see if I can install Compressor and QMaster - then re-install all the iLife apps! Both of these options would result in my having to redo two days worth of work in getting my new iMac configured, so I want to avoid that AT ALL COSTS.

Long story short. Any Logic ninjas out ther have any ideas, suggestions or answers?

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Racerat
racerat
Forum Full Member

Re:HELP: Logic 9 install issue
Tuesday, June 28 2011 @ 11:59 PM CDT

P.S.

STATS: I am installing on a 4 day old iMac:

iMac 27" 3.4GHz Intel Core i7 | OSX 10.6.8 | Logic Pro 9 | Komplete Audi 6 USB interface |
michael2
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, June 29 2011 @ 12:48 AM CDT

reinstall the OS? jesus. sometimes I think that the apple guys are retarded. I'm wondering if you can install these separately after everything else is installed. you may want to post this question over at logicprohelp.com one of the mods is the author of that expensive Logic book, and he is really helpful.

congrats on the new machine, although I don't envy you the whole reinstallation thing. I am dreading that whole process when I eventually buy a new computer. installed Snow Leopard today (can't be behind 2 operating systems), and I am actually going through my computer now to find stuff that no longer works. so far just minor stuff (my password locker, growl, some safari plugins, a few automator scripts...).

for what it's worth, I have never used compressor.
dimm witness
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, June 29 2011 @ 01:41 AM CDT

lion is coming out in a couple weeks $29 for most of us for you I believe free. i would wait and install lion then try what you are trying to do.
racerat
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, June 29 2011 @ 10:37 AM CDT

Thanks Michael and Dimm,

Both great ideas. I will post this on logicprohelp.com as you suggested and see what they say.

Anyone else have any ideas? Hoping to hear from SmokeyVW or MarkHolbrook, a couple of our Ninja's for all things Mac, maybe I'll PM them.

RR
Jim Bouchard
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, June 29 2011 @ 10:45 AM CDT

You don't need Compressor or Qmaster for Logic 9 to work properly. I don't have them installed, by choice.

racerat
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, June 29 2011 @ 04:15 PM CDT

Thanks so much Jim!

I worked with Apple tech support on the phone today and they walked me through fixing the installation (installing Compressor, QMaster and Soundtrack pro). In case anyone is wondering: The fix involved removing items in the "Receipts" folder in the "Library" folder, among other things... an undocumented but fairly simple fix. It took all of 10 minutes.

You are right, they said the same thing when I asked: Logic Pro doesn't need QMaster or Compressor to function, they are only used by FinalCut Pro and Soundtrack Pro. Neither of which I use.

I appreciate everyone's help. Case closed.

RR