Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
rover101
Forum Full Member

Re:Logic or DP?
Monday, July 28 2008 @ 11:55 PM CDT

"I agree 100% on Logic 7 - I own it and have never liked it much. I guess at this point I'm leaning towards DP but the extra $200 between LE 8 ($199) and the DP crossgrade ($395) is a bit daunting.'

It's worth noting that DP6 is far closer to Logic Pro (oodles of loops,etc, a live recording sampler, and a bunch of quantisation options (DNA grooves included, that kind of thing)) than to LE8. And the MW plug-ins aren't just for mastering (the EQ, for example, is a truly beautiful thing that you can use anywhere}. But the real biggie for me is the quality of the internal mixing - it really is a cut or two above everything else I've tried; my nephew (he of Ephexis fame) works primarily in Logic and mixes through a summing amp; he says that if he had to mix internally, he'd import the tracks from Logic to DP to do it; the gain in quality would be worth the hassle.

And I must echo Bug's comments about results; somehow DP lets you focus on just what you want and gets the job done how you want it. Not to mention a real=time convolution reverb that won't bring your computer to it's knees (DP seems to be more tightly written than most programs in this day and age).

So, in the long run, you're going to have to build that summing amp if you go with Logic, whereas you can probably get away without it using DP (I still want one though)

I will say that LE8 seems to be more FUN than DP (unlike LE7), which may be a factor.

Some last impressions, thoughts.

If you're going for quality out of LE8, then running at higher sample rates is a VERY good idea. Not good if you've an older computer.

LE8 has great instant gratification features, but I must admit to intense trepidation when going beyond idiot level; after all, deep inside, it's still Logic.

I would much rather mix in DP.

DP's file handling is better than Logic's.

MotU also make damn good interfaces, which work directly with DP in much the same way as Apogee's work with Logic (put an Apogee clock on a MotU and it's very hard to tell the difference, but we're getting off-topic).

One thing I've found with DP is that what you need is always there, and just WORKS. I'm not a big fan of their sample-rate conversion, but the only thing I've found that works properly for that is dedicated 2-track programs like Peak.

Logic has a larger user-base than DP, so it may be what you want for long-distance collaboration. (OMF should overcome that, but it's finicky)

One thing that has always impressed me is that one time some years ago when I was getting VERY frustrated with Cubase, I asked my local music store guys what software actually WORKED, the answer was immediate; DP.

Enough words. I'm off to play with some synths in LE8

Noli bastardi carborundum
RazorsKiss
Forum Chatty

Tuesday, July 29 2008 @ 01:00 AM CDT

Quote by: Tiny_Man_Inside
OK... as much as I love Tracktion (I really do), I have gotten to the point where its CPU inefficiency and slightly flighty nature (unpredictable plug-in behavior and file management) are impeding my workflow. So it is time to upgrade.

I have Logic 7 and pretty much hate it, but I've read good things about Logic Express 8. Should I go for LE8 or go all out and pick up Digital Performer 6?

I'm leaning towards DP 6 as my earlier experiences with Logic weren't so much fun. I've played with a DP 4 demo that I really liked.

Thoughts?

mason

I absolutely love LE8. the controls are easy to get used to, the effects are killer, and the mixing is, in my opinion, alot easier to tweak than GB. in GB4, i had alot of trouble getting volume in the final mix. things would have to be [pushed to the reddest of redlines, in LE8, final mixing is super easy. the songs seem to mix themselves.
i run a line 6 podx3live for my guitars, and while the tone can never be as good as a great mic and a 4x12 cab, the feel and warmth i get from logic gives me chills.
please take the time to listen to my song, WHY?, first mix and final, and tell me what you think. very, very little compression, minor limiting, and i effected each track, rather than the master. vocals are nearly dry, and not eq'ed. i never got that response from my mic in GB. WHY? was my first all-logic song. i even think the drums on demand loops sound better, and they are the same 16-bit ones i used in GB4, as a 24-bit recording. i dunno, i for sure am a believer in LE8.
same equipment, better overall product.

The Rad Project
DWL
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, July 29 2008 @ 03:59 AM CDT

I'm taking a break from music at the moment as I've run out of ideas and energy but I have been playing with Logic Pro 8.

I abandoned LE7 as well as it was so difficult to use. LP8 is way easier. Lots of great sounds and very very powerful (a 1000 page manual and a 700 page manual on instruments and effects!!!). It's still a horrible looking interface though and nowhere near as intuitive as GB.

I've moved to Logic as I want to be able to export midi files and get better mastering and have more control over the automation. I now track in GB (or at least will when I have an idea) and open the project in LP8.

It's a pro product though and only recently has made any concessions to guys like me. Interestingly enough if you read the Apple discussion forum for LP8 there are people on there bemoaning Apple for making Logic easier to use (well you wouldn't those pesky amateur GB getting in on the act would you?) :-)

I know nothing about DP but I guess you need to try a demo if you can.

Good luck with whatever you do!

Cheers

Dick

Hanging in with the out crowd (All rights reserved)

Tuesday, July 29 2008 @ 04:52 AM CDT

Hi..If you don't need all the stuff in Logic or DP..As to instruments..However the FX are another matter...Just get it over with and go to Pro-Tools..It is a guitar players dream..Not many FX but if you have thrid party plugs (most come with an RTAS version ) Then you are there..Just the elastic audio feature alone will blow your mind..I am in the middle of that conversion and although I use Reason, Live, Logic Pro8...I find PT to be incredible..If you have an M-audio audio interface the M-Powered version is under $300.. Just a thought..

The other App worth noting is Live..Another great and quik DAW for guitarists. You can move stuff around in ways no other program allows.. J
jiguma
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, July 29 2008 @ 07:13 AM CDT

I used LE7 for about 2 years and had no problems with it - OK, the learning curve was steep, but I found it worth the trouble.

I now have Logic Studio, and it is much more straightforward than LE7 - great screen layout and the access to loops, virtual instruments and channel settings in LS is just amazing as Joe said.

I have no experience with DP6, but I can highly recommend LP8 (in Studio) - unbelievably cheap for what you get.

Have fun,
Neil
Cool
Tiny_Man_Inside
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, July 29 2008 @ 09:25 AM CDT

Quote by: jjett
Hi..If you don't need all the stuff in Logic or DP..As to instruments..However the FX are another matter...Just get it over with and go to Pro-Tools..It is a guitar players dream..Not many FX but if you have thrid party plugs (most come with an RTAS version ) Then you are there..Just the elastic audio feature alone will blow your mind..I am in the middle of that conversion and although I use Reason, Live, Logic Pro8...I find PT to be incredible..If you have an M-audio audio interface the M-Powered version is under $300.. Just a thought..

The other App worth noting is Live..Another great and quik DAW for guitarists. You can move stuff around in ways no other program allows.. J

I used to work in ProTools (up to 7.2) but I ditched it because I hated being married to their hardware. I didn't care for my MBox much at all... sounded clunky and muddy.

I really liked ProTools... after Tracktion it is probably my second favorite recording program... but when I made the transition away from PT I did A LOT of A/B testing of different hardware at my local Guitar Center and I didn't like any of the M Audio interfaces anywhere near as much as I liked the Focusrite, Presonus, and Mackie stuff. I decided on a Mackie Onyx 400F which I love and don't regret for a second. I have no intention of leaving this fine piece of hardware so PT is out of the question at this point.

I will say the thing that I miss the most from PT is the Pultec EQ bundle. I can't use it in any other programs as it is only RTAS... that was really hard to give up because it sounds great on guitars.

Mason
Tiny_Man_Inside
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, July 29 2008 @ 09:58 AM CDT

Quote by: RazorsKiss
OK... as much as I love Tracktion (I really do), I have gotten to the point where its CPU inefficiency and slightly flighty nature (unpredictable plug-in behavior and file management) are impeding my workflow. So it is time to upgrade.

I have Logic 7 and pretty much hate it, but I've read good things about Logic Express 8. Should I go for LE8 or go all out and pick up Digital Performer 6?

I'm leaning towards DP 6 as my earlier experiences with Logic weren't so much fun. I've played with a DP 4 demo that I really liked.

Thoughts?

mason

I absolutely love LE8. the controls are easy to get used to, the effects are killer, and the mixing is, in my opinion, alot easier to tweak than GB. in GB4, i had alot of trouble getting volume in the final mix. things would have to be [pushed to the reddest of redlines, in LE8, final mixing is super easy. the songs seem to mix themselves.
i run a line 6 podx3live for my guitars, and while the tone can never be as good as a great mic and a 4x12 cab, the feel and warmth i get from logic gives me chills.
please take the time to listen to my song, WHY?, first mix and final, and tell me what you think. very, very little compression, minor limiting, and i effected each track, rather than the master. vocals are nearly dry, and not eq'ed. i never got that response from my mic in GB. WHY? was my first all-logic song. i even think the drums on demand loops sound better, and they are the same 16-bit ones i used in GB4, as a 24-bit recording. i dunno, i for sure am a believer in LE8.
same equipment, better overall product.

Why? sounds huge. Brilliant production, definitely a plus in LE8's favor.

Mason
VicDiesel
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, July 29 2008 @ 10:57 AM CDT

I will say the thing that I miss the most from PT is the Pultec EQ bundle. I can't use it in any other programs as it is only RTAS... that was really hard to give up because it sounds great on guitars.

Get yourself a UAD card.

Victor.

-- My CD. Use coupon code "macjams" on BandCamp.
DWL
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, July 29 2008 @ 03:30 PM CDT

Quote by: VicDiesel

Get yourself a UAD card.

Victor.

Or then again...

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1622950&tstart=0

Hanging in with the out crowd (All rights reserved)

Tiny_Man_Inside
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, July 29 2008 @ 03:41 PM CDT

Quote by: DWL
Quote by: VicDiesel

Get yourself a UAD card.

Victor.

Or then again...

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7673247�

Link isn't working...