Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
amberfrances
Forum Newbie

"Error Code 25974 was returned by the CoreAudio Driver" HELP
Monday, April 17 2006 @ 04:14 PM CDT

hi, i have a mac G4 powerbook 512 ram, 60g hard drive, 1.5 Ghz processor and i'm running garage band. i'm trying to do some recording with a Tascam US-122 USB audio/midi interface. and first of all! i'm a little confused as to get the sound to go through to my computer, it can't possibly just travel through the USB ... can it? and when i try to record or play pretty much ANYTHING in garage band (even without the interface) i get this error. and no sounds play over the speakers when garage band is open... it's freaking frusterating! can you help?
drakonis
Forum Full Member

Re:
Monday, April 17 2006 @ 04:29 PM CDT

Well, I don't know what the error message is about, you may have to go to a Tascam user web board or visit their tech support site? But maybe somebody here at Macjams has seen and fixed this error... are other programs on your computer acting strangely or getting errors too? It could be an installation problem, a corrupted disk, problems with versions of software and your MacOS operating system (you will need to tell us what version of MacOS you have.) There *is* another thread here at Macjams from long ago with the same error message, you may want to read this:http://www.macjams.com/forum/viewtopic.php?forum=1&showtopic=389

Any yes, the Tascam converts audio to USB signals, sends it through USB, and the driver on the Mac then converts the USB info back into audio for Garageband to use. But you may need to do some configuring in GB to get input from the Tascam driver. Again, somebody else will have to go into details, but yes, this is how it is *supposed* to work, once you get it working :-)

ttfn,
Drakonis
alanfraser
Forum Full Member

Re:
Monday, April 17 2006 @ 04:41 PM CDT

First thing is to make sure you're connected correctly. DO NOT plug the USB cable from the TASCAM into a USB hub. It needs to be plugged directly into a USB port on the computer. This is not negotiable. Run everything else through a hub if you must but definitely not that.

Next, run the Audio/MIDI Setup application and make sure you've got the TASCAM US-122 as the default audio in and out.

Next, check your GarageBand preferences to ensure it is set up for the TASCAM US-122 as the audio device.

Please let me know if you've got the above covered and we can chase it around some more if that doesn't resolve it.

Silas Scarborough
My Duck Soup | Silas Galactic Podcast
alanfraser
Forum Full Member

Re:
Monday, April 17 2006 @ 05:15 PM CDT

I've just written up a blog entry with graphics for each of the setup windows for the TASCAM US-122. You can check it out at TASCAM US-122 Set-up

It's got a graphic for the US-122 Manager window, the Audio MIDI Setup window, and the GarageBand Preferences window.

Click one the Google ads while you're there. It helps. Thanks. (You don't have to buy anything; it just counts clicks)

Silas Scarborough
alanfraser
Forum Full Member

Re:
Monday, April 17 2006 @ 05:23 PM CDT

Something else I notice is that you're running with 512 MB of RAM. That's very light. You should be running with 1 GB and preferably 2 GB or more.

Silas Scarborough

Re:
Monday, April 17 2006 @ 06:08 PM CDT

It never hurts to Repair Permissions with Disk Utility and re-install your CoreAudio driver. Also, you might want to back pedal to QuickTime 7.0.1 if you had pedaled as far as the problematic version 7.0.4.
amberfrances
Forum Newbie

Re:
Monday, April 17 2006 @ 07:39 PM CDT

i'm sure that the tascam is the primary audio. and the green light blinks according to sound so i'm sure that the tascam is hearing/recognizing audio--- so my problem is that i'm not getting the sound in to the computer. and whenever i click one of the garage band demo beats or any other demo sound that came with the program, this error comes up. which is odd!!!
amberfrances
Forum Newbie

Re:
Monday, April 17 2006 @ 07:45 PM CDT

repairing permissions got the garage band loops to play again, but i am still having trouble getting sound from the tascam to the software... when it's plugged in, none of the audio works on the computer throught in speakers- it doesn't come through the headphones either. on the back of the tascam is a R and L and there is a headphone jack, should i be connecting audially through one of those methods to the computer?
alanfraser
Forum Full Member

Re:
Monday, April 17 2006 @ 08:18 PM CDT

Quote by: amberfrances
repairing permissions got the garage band loops to play again, but i am still having trouble getting sound from the tascam to the software... when it's plugged in, none of the audio works on the computer throught in speakers- it doesn't come through the headphones either. on the back of the tascam is a R and L and there is a headphone jack, should i be connecting audially through one of those methods to the computer?

The audio INPUT goes entirely through the USB cable. The R and L (red and white) RCA plugs are line-out that has the same output level as a CD player or other type of external stereo device. Your best bet with the R & L lineouts is to run them into a stereo so you can monitor / playback your recordings. Trying to do it with the computer's built-in speaker is not going to give you anything.

I did an an extended write-up with picture on connecting a TASCAM US-122 and perhaps that will help.

P.S. Any text in my entries that shows in purple is a link.

Silas Scarborough

Re:
Monday, April 17 2006 @ 08:19 PM CDT

Yes, you have to output sound from the Tascam to something. Plug in a set of headphones, and patch the L and R outputs to an external amplifier (using RCA phono cables).