Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
TobinMueller
Forum Full Member

Critics Circles
Tuesday, July 15 2008 @ 08:39 AM CDT

Any Macjammer seeking advice, critique, reviews and/or comments on their posted songs, please see the listings below for volunteer critics who are available to listen to your material.

If you want your song to be critiqued, simply click on a name below (links go to profile pages) and send a note with your song URL. If you want to have the critic focus on something specific, please let them know.

Please don't post in this forum unless you want to be a member of a Critics Circle. Don't post your song URLs here. Navigate to the Critic's profile page and leave them a NOTE.

Critics, please let me know what Circle(s) you would like to join or form, what issues, genres or areas of interest you want to comment on. I will add you to an appropriate Critics Circle as I update this thread.

Here is the list so far:
TobinMueller
Vic+Holman
michael2
Jim Bouchard
Ian Baird (springclock)
richardhowardjones
drakonis
Neil Porter (jiguma)
I.G.M. (Ingo G. Michel)
Dj French Toast
Dennis James
Adam McClure (8piscean8)
chikoppi
TEXASFEEL
bonnieprincejohnny
Dick Langford (DWL)
RazorsKiss
paul f. page
MarkHolbrook
Cantor
kassia
Doadars Uncle
Elevator_Fun
biba_nov
dajama
SmokeyVW
damiengh
saymme
Muse Ritual
Feter
Cameron
Clark Ross (composerclark)
Sigmund
Kicbald (Chroma Specter)
thetiler (Bill Furner)
Symphony101
Gaylen75
Corporal Beef
rockstar89

And here are the specific Circles:

Song-writing Critics Circle (for comments about content, structure, lyrics, melody):
richardhowardjones
TobinMueller
Adam McClure (8piscean8)
RazorsKiss
TEXASFEEL
I.G.M.
Kicbald
Sigmund
michael2
rockstar89

Production Critics Circle (for comments about production/recording quality):
chikoppi
TobinMueller
Neil Porter (jiguma)
drakonis
Adam McClure (8piscean8)
RazorsKiss
Kicbald
thetiler (Bill Furner) (esp: fingerstyle guitar)
Sigmund
michael2

Vocal Critics:
Gaylen75

Composition/Arranging Critics Circle:
paul f. page
TobinMueller
Dick Langford (DWL)
Adam McClure (8piscean8)
I.G.M.
Sigmund

Rock Critics Circle:
michael2
Ian Baird (springclock)
Vic+Holman
Dennis James
RazorsKiss
Adam McClure (8piscean8)
richardhowardjones
TEXASFEEL
Sigmund

Punk Critics Circle:
Corporal Beef

Folk/Folk Rock Critics Circle:
Neil Porter (jiguma)
Jim Bouchard
Dennis James
MarkHolbrook
Dick Langford (DWL)
Adam McClure (8piscean8)
richardhowardjones
TEXASFEEL
I.G.M.

Blues Critics Circle:
Feter
justatom

Classical Music Critics Circle:
paul f. page
Cameron
TobinMueller
drakonis
Cantor (especially vocal ensemble)

Jazz/Funk/Fusion Critics Circle:
TobinMueller
damiengh
Elevator_Fun
Sigmund

Country Music Critics Circle:
rockstar89

Hip Hop / Rap Critics Circle:
Dj French Toast

Art/Prog Rock Critic Circles:
Doadars Uncle
TobinMueller
Sigmund

Jewish/Hebrew Critics Circle:
Cantor

Experimental Music Critics Circle:
chikoppi
michael2

General Critics Circle (critics who didn't specify an area of expertise or interest):
Symphony101
michael2
Jim Bouchard
kassia
SmokeyVW
dajama
saymme
richardhowardjones

Critics Circle Jerks:
bonnieprincejohnny
biba_nov

Drop me a note if I have listed you wrong on this post or you want to be dropped from any list(s).

BTW, the list also exists on a special page in the Music Blog: MacJams Critics Circles, so that after this thread loses visibility, the list can live on somewhere.

Re:Critics Circles
Tuesday, July 15 2008 @ 08:47 AM CDT

Quote by: TobinMueller
I am starting this thread so that people who volunteer to be "Critics" can list themselves. If you want your song to be critiqued by someone below, simply drop them a note with your song URL. If you want to have the critic focus on something specific, please let them know.

Please don't post in this forum unless you want to be a member of the Critics Circle. Don't post your song URLs here. Navigate to the Critic's profile page and leave them a NOTE.

Critics, please let me know what Critics Circle you would like to join or form, what issues, genres or areas of interest you want to comment on. I will add you to a Critics Circle (or start a new one for you) as I update this thread.

Here is the list so far:

Jazz Critics Circle:
TobinMueller

Prog Rock Critics Circle:
TobinMueller

Song-writing Critics Circle (for comments about content, structure, lyrics, melody):
TobinMueller

Production Critics Circle (for comments about content, structure, lyrics, melody):
TobinMueller

General Critics Circle (critics who didn't specify an area of expertise or interest):
...list to follow...

I think this is an awesome idea but me personally am not good at being a critic or giving advice

Just wanted to say i really like the idea and i think many others will too
bonnieprincejohnny
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, July 15 2008 @ 08:50 AM CDT

If there was a Critics Circle Jerk then I could possibly be persuaded.

bpj
kassia
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, July 15 2008 @ 09:04 AM CDT

I would love to be a part of this. I really liked chikoppi's original idea (I think it was him) of creating circles of all kinds of artists coming from different genres, skill levels and musical backgrounds. I think this would create very well-rounded group feedback sessions, as well as expand people's knowledge and listening arena to things perhaps outside their comfort zones.

Everyone here has an email address. Once the circles are formed, it would be easy to set up an email list for your group to facilitate communication about new songs and stuff. This would keep the forums free of clutter from the circles, as well as ensure even those who don't visit MacJams on a daily basis are aware of what's happening within their group.

So...Tobin, while I appreciate you taking charge of this and getting the ball rolling, I'm not so sure I like the system of picking a genre for each circle. And I KNOW I can't be a member of more than one circle. I just wouldn't be able to dedicate enough time to multiple groups.

Are there other ways we could do this? Possibly, as was mentioned in the other thread - make a list of people you would like in your group and contact them? If you are new here, you could post in this forum letting people know you are interested and groups that are forming can invite you in. Anyway, just some thoughts on other ways this might work. I think it's a great idea and a perfect way to put some honesty and integrity back into the feedback/voting system here on MacJams.
TobinMueller
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, July 15 2008 @ 09:17 AM CDT

Quote by: kassia
I'm not so sure I like the system of picking a genre for each circle.

The idea of this thread is to provide a quick way for someone to find a Critic to get feedback from via comments on their posted music. Most people have more expertise and interest in certain genres or certain aspects of recording/production. Also, members seeking critiques may want advice for a specific issue/genre.

This is different than Listening Circles. This is more like a clearing house of people willing to give reviews, critique, advice, opinions, etc... for people seeking such advice.
RazorsKiss
Forum Chatty

Tuesday, July 15 2008 @ 10:31 AM CDT

i might be persuaded to involve myself in three of the afformentioned geners;
Songwriting, specifically lyrics, melody, and instrument placement to create a mood, and feel for a work,
Production, as much as my skills can handle. i am currently trying to figure out LE8, my last song, is all logic.
and, as usual, the Rock category.

how is this moderated?
is everyone entitled to thier say?
is this a democracy?

The Rad Project
paul f. page
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, July 15 2008 @ 11:00 AM CDT

If I can be of any assistance to anyone in the area of composition, arranging, etc., I will be happy to provide honest commentary. My forte is piano music mostly in classical/semi-classical/neo-classical/and in music suitable for cinematic possibilities.
Paul F. Page
drakonis
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, July 15 2008 @ 02:06 PM CDT

Oh no, a dilemma! I have been doing just this very thing at Macjams all along, and receiving same wonderful critiques (despite Jiguma's lament :-) ever since I joined here... but like everyone here, my spare time comes and goes, and I'm a little hesitant to put my name on a more public list. The reason I'm hesitant is simply that, if someone were to request that I critique their work, and I cannot get to it right away, this might incite anger toward me for "being unresponsive"... whereas the current system of me scanning the MJ landscape for new/old music when I have time seems to work better for me and not create undue stress on myself and my family. The past couple months I've had almost no free time, and have been mostly absent from MJ, for example.

On the other hand, I've learned a LOT from others here and from my own experiences, and I love giving back to the community when I can...

sooo...

Please add me to this list as a critic of classical music, and to the production credits, and I will do my best to be available to offer specific critiques if asked. I hope my thoughts will be useful and helpful.

ttfn,
Drakonis
sloparts
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, July 15 2008 @ 03:33 PM CDT

As I said in the note I sent you Tobin, I'm in as well.

Sign me up for Song Writing and a Country Music Critics Circle

Ed

Music is the master link in the chain of the tribes of mankind ! SloParts, March 21, 2008

Feter
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, July 15 2008 @ 03:35 PM CDT

terry jacks: season in the sun :-)

«Blues is easy to play, but not to feel » (Jimi Hendrix)