Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
DWL
Forum Full Member

RIP Bert Weedon
Friday, April 20 2012 @ 05:09 AM CDT

A lot of RIPs recently......

Mr "Play in Day" has gone to the big gig in the sky. I think I've still got one of his books somewhere (I gave up after not being able to play in day when was I was 12 and didn't pick up the guitar again until much later!)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17781762

Hanging in with the out crowd (All rights reserved)
composerclark
Forum Full Member

Re:RIP Bert Weedon
Friday, April 20 2012 @ 06:29 AM CDT

I had not heard of him, but the BBC article (link in DWL's post above) makes it clear that he accomplished a lot in his life, including helping get a lot of very impressive guitarists get a start in learning the instrument through his books.

One statement in the article struck me as strange, though: "As a child, he studied classical guitar - a grounding which later enabled him to play any genre of guitar music at sight."

I have known and taught many classical guitarists during the forty years I have played the instrument, and while I strongly believe that a classical guitar background gives you a great technical foundation to play any kind of music, classical guitar training itself is very limited in terms of genre. Most of the classical guitarists I know lack the skills to solo (improvise), read a chord chart, do intelligent chord substitutions, use a pick, and, more generally, play music of any genre other than classical.

The fact that Mr. Weedon could, according to the article, play music of any genre is most likely the result of his having worked hard to learn a variety of musical genres beyond classical.
Moonwolf_Project
Forum Full Member

Friday, April 20 2012 @ 08:19 AM CDT

Goodbye, Bert.

24. The first testicular guard, the "Cup," was used in Hockey in 1874 and the first helmet was used in 1924. That means it only took 50 years for men to realize that their brain is also important.

dimm witness
Forum Full Member

Friday, April 20 2012 @ 11:04 AM CDT

I hadn't know of him either I'll check it out

as far as the technical vs improvisational aspects of performance I've also noticed some of my outstanding musician friends that read music actually do need music in front of them to play. with the music they blow me away technically

but without it you say just jam!! and they act puzzled and any attempt they make is like what?? and they say they need the music

lol. but if i could print up the music man would they be good!! to use

the ideal would be to be capable either way. the vast majority of my musician friends throughout the decades could not read music at all. but they rocked improvising and riffing just off the chords