Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
Dadai.2
Forum Full Member

Re:Done Fishing
Thursday, November 17 2011 @ 10:08 PM CST

Jon Stewart and The Daily Show weighs in...

* Post Removed *
Friday, November 18 2011 @ 03:12 AM CST

* This message has been removed *

* Post Removed *
Friday, November 18 2011 @ 07:13 AM CST

* This message has been removed *
bud
Forum Full Member

Friday, November 18 2011 @ 07:59 AM CST

Quote by: -Harold-
That's really funny, Jack

wonder how much truth is in there...

There was definitely truth in this satire. All good satire is based in fact. The encampment in Zuccotti was rife with problems, divisions, attitudes and extremes. Just like the real world. At the same time - it also was a place of compassion, patience, support, and creative vitality. I already miss the energy of the density of that community despite all of it's flaws. But after rallying with over 30,000 people yesterday - and being liberated from the time consuming management of Zuccotti Square - I welcome phase two of Occupy Wall Street.

It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done.
Dadai.2
Forum Full Member

Friday, November 18 2011 @ 12:28 PM CST

Varying reports over the "thousands" of protesters:

Over on the CBS Evening News, Jim Axelrod noted how though “organizers promised tens of thousands demonstrators disrupting business as usual here in New York,” they didn’t show up: “Frankly, we’ve seen a fraction of that number -- closer to a thousand.”

NBC came in somewhere in between with anchor Brian Williams touting “thousands on the move” and reporter Mike Taibbi acknowledging “the Occupy Wall Street movement had promised huge crowds for its day of action,” then asserting “that prediction finally looked realistic a short time ago. Now some 5,000 protesters, union members and supporters are gathered in Foley Square.”

magnatone
Forum Full Member

Sunday, November 20 2011 @ 01:58 PM CST

called the "Bat Signal" - very creative!

my most recent song: "Heart Song"
damiengh
Forum Full Member

Sunday, November 20 2011 @ 04:28 PM CST

I know who I am and you know who you are, but who and the hell do they think they are?
bud
Forum Full Member

Sunday, November 20 2011 @ 04:36 PM CST

Quote by: Dadai.2
Varying reports over the "thousands" of protesters:

Over on the CBS Evening News, Jim Axelrod noted how though “organizers promised tens of thousands demonstrators disrupting business as usual here in New York,” they didn’t show up: “Frankly, we’ve seen a fraction of that number -- closer to a thousand.”

NBC came in somewhere in between with anchor Brian Williams touting “thousands on the move” and reporter Mike Taibbi acknowledging “the Occupy Wall Street movement had promised huge crowds for its day of action,” then asserting “that prediction finally looked realistic a short time ago. Now some 5,000 protesters, union members and supporters are gathered in Foley Square.”

Somewhere lies the truth - and what we get is whatever suits the outlet. Why the NYPD refuses to release their official estimates is a question only the Mayor and Commissioner can answer. Here's an article that helps shed light on the situation.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/19/packed-into-foley-square-but-how-tightly-is-a-mystery/

This video is one of the more eloquent gestures I've witnessed yet. OWS is not about numbers - it's about ideas.

It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done.
VicDiesel
Forum Full Member

Monday, November 21 2011 @ 10:07 AM CST

Anything to prevent you from having to think about what it means, eh?

Victor.

-- My CD. Use coupon code "macjams" on BandCamp.

Dadai.2
Forum Full Member

Monday, November 21 2011 @ 01:51 PM CST

Quote by: VicDiesel

Anything to prevent you from having to think about what it means, eh?

Victor.

cryptic projection?
who can say...

bud -

That video is indeed an idealistic and hopeful take on the Occupy movement. In a perfect world the speaker's sentiments might hold sway. My concern is that it is the small yet more radical/Machiavellian parties that are steering and defining these protests, motivated not by love, but by hatred for our current system of government and the desire to disrupt individuals' rights to participate in free markets, public travel, free assembly, access to their places of employment, as well as the destruction of property all in the name of free speech and the righteous cause. I do agree there is much that needs addressing and changing. Yet I think history teaches that justifying any means (I'm not saying you personally are doing this) by even the best of ends can lead to the slippery slope of anarchy.

Hoping for the best...