Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
TobinMueller
Forum Full Member

MobileMe>iCloud
Monday, February 27 2012 @ 11:14 AM CST

Not sure if this has been discussed already, but come the end of June the MobileMe server will be turned off. For those who use it for mail, photos, personal websites, etc., all information on the server will be erased after June 2012. The conversion to iCloud is easy if you run Lion on your computer and OS5 on mobile devices. However, if you are like me and still run 10.6 on your computer, the iCloud prompt says you cannot switch over to iCloud. This is incorrect.

I just switched over to iCloud on a 10.6 pre-Lion laptop. All my contacts info migrated perfectly. My iPhone and iPad (both running OS5) are synced to iCloud, my email works fine, but it required a work-around:

If you are running Lion, no work-around is needed. If you aren't, then you need to go through all the steps online at www.me.com/move/ as if you are. Then:

In order to make your .mac or .me.com email work correctly, you have to create a new email account in Mail. First, take your old .Mac/.Me email and rename it to something like Archive. Don't delete it like they suggest or you'll most likely loose a ton of old emails. Then create the new MobileMe account. Test it, everything should work fine. Then you can move over any old emails from your Archive inbox into your new MobileMe inbox. They will then be saved to the iCloud, automatically.

When you convert to iCloud, all your photos, websites, etc., currently on MobileMe will be lost. So make sure and back up things somewhere else. Of course, it'll all be lost after June, regardless.

If you have questions, the people at 1-866-84-APPLE are very helpful.

Running 10.6.8, email works using the iCloud without a hitch. None of the other iCloud services work, although anything purchased on iTunes is still shared automatically across all your OS5 devices, once they are logged into iCloud.

Hope this helps anyone using MobileMe who is worried about what will happen when they take it down.
mike_d
Forum Full Member

Re:MobileMe>iCloud
Monday, February 27 2012 @ 12:24 PM CST

Thanks for the info, Tobin. I have held off moving to iCloud because I use my iDisk to send large pdf files to customers, etc. I also haven't upgraded to Lion. Quicken says they will in fact come out with a Lion-compatible version soon, so that's what I'm kinda waiting on.

I also use iDisk to transfer .pages files between home and work computers. Currently iCloud cannot do this- only between iPad or iPhone.

iCloud seems much more limiting in what you can store, access and share compared to iDisk. (unless I'm misinformed) Looks like I'll be spending my money on something like DropBox rather than give it to Apple.

I will have to move to iCloud before the deadline so that my calendar, bookmarks and emails stay in sync. I just do not need the pictures I take (when I'm at a customer, for example) to also sync with every friggin' computer/device I own.

If I can't fix it, it ain't broke Smiley
ShadowofNine
Forum Full Member

Monday, February 27 2012 @ 01:24 PM CST

I wish I had known this Tobin, instead I installed Lion, and have been cursing ever since it really is a lame System..
Alimar
Forum Full Member

Monday, February 27 2012 @ 01:28 PM CST

Thanks, Tobin! I have been afraid because I do not use Lion. I have 20 GB stored on iDisk... What a bummer... jpegs linked to hundreds of forum posts will soon be lost, like tears in rain... Time to die (Roy Batty - Bladerunner)

ALIMAR "The Other White Meat" 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21
TvRicky
Forum Full Member

Monday, February 27 2012 @ 01:41 PM CST

Thank you for the valuable info.
FEEL
Forum Full Member

Monday, February 27 2012 @ 03:13 PM CST

The newest version of Quicken Essentials is available for Lion on the App store.

I wonder if iCloud will ever support iWeb or a website?

Lion is a bit different but seems super stable. I'm glad I upgraded.

Quote by: mike_d
Thanks for the info, Tobin. I have held off moving to iCloud because I use my iDisk to send large pdf files to customers, etc. I also haven't upgraded to Lion. Quicken says they will in fact come out with a Lion-compatible version soon, so that's what I'm kinda waiting on.

I also use iDisk to transfer .pages files between home and work computers. Currently iCloud cannot do this- only between iPad or iPhone.

iCloud seems much more limiting in what you can store, access and share compared to iDisk. (unless I'm misinformed) Looks like I'll be spending my money on something like DropBox rather than give it to Apple.

I will have to move to iCloud before the deadline so that my calendar, bookmarks and emails stay in sync. I just do not need the pictures I take (when I'm at a customer, for example) to also sync with every friggin' computer/device I own.

awigze
Forum Full Member

Monday, February 27 2012 @ 05:36 PM CST

isnt this where the flesh eating robots figure out where we are so that they can control us.... hmmm... iCloud, sounds a lot like SkyNet.

Music is the master link in the chain of the tribes of mankind! -SloParts
and so it goes...
mike_d
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, February 28 2012 @ 06:57 AM CST

Here's an article from MacLife that describes the troubles (and highlights) of iCloud:

http://www.maclife.com/article/features/7_things_apple_doesn’t_tell_you_about_icloud

John, When I checked out Quicken Essentials, it seems to be a glorified version of Mint. I need the capabilities that Quicken 2007 has, such as split transactions. One alternative is iBank. It seems to be similar. Someone I know who is using it says it works quite well. Just a new interface to get used to.

If I can't fix it, it ain't broke Smiley
John Stebbe
Forum Full Member

Friday, March 02 2012 @ 06:47 AM CST

So that means my iWeb web sites will go away? If so, is there an alternative? Is there some kind of iCloud web site, that I can still use iWeb with?

My 2010 jazz piano CD on the iTunes store.

TobinMueller
Forum Full Member

Friday, March 02 2012 @ 09:35 AM CST

Quote by: John Stebbe
So that means my iWeb web sites will go away? If so, is there an alternative? Is there some kind of iCloud web site, that I can still use iWeb with?

I asked the help guy at the APPLE hot line that and he said "not at this time" but they were considering something. So, no. But call that number, they are helpful.