Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
Mute Albino
Forum Chatty

sampling synth sounds
Tuesday, November 02 2010 @ 04:18 PM CDT

How can I sample my synthesizer sounds and use them in garageband and or logic. I know there was a program that could record a sound at different keys, but i forgot the name of the program.
Meta4
Forum Regular Poster

Re:sampling synth sounds
Tuesday, November 02 2010 @ 04:44 PM CDT

I would suggest using the EXS24 in Logic. Here's what you do:
1. Record your synth by note, ie: C, D, E, F, G, you can do the sharps/flats to if ya want.
2. Load the samples in the sample editor in Logic and edit them so that they have a short fade in and out
3. Save each note you edit in a sample folder with the synth name as well as the name of the note and it's value. ie: "Synth C3"
4. Next open the EXS24 and click the "edit" button above the volume fader on the right side.
5. This opens the editor for the EXS24, here you can create your own sampled synth.
6. Start by clicking "Instrument" then "New" at the top of the window.
7. Next click "Zone" and "New Zone". This will allow you to load individual samples. Notice that there is a blue bar along the bottom above the piano roll, this indicates your note range. You will want to size it according to what sample you are loading. Above that in the column that says Pitch And Key, set that value to the value of your sample, ie: C3
8. If you have all your samples saved and labeled as I mentioned before with the note Value in them it is even easier.
9. Instead of clicking "New Zone" under the "Zone" drop menu, choose "Load Multiple Samples" this will drop in all your samples in the right place if you have them labeled correctly.
10. Make sure you save you EXS24 Sampler Instrument.

Let me know how it works out man, hopefully this was helpful for ya.

~Peace~Love~Music
VicDiesel
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, November 02 2010 @ 04:48 PM CDT

Redmatica Autosampler.

But unless you have something very exotic, I bet it's been sampled already and at high quality.

Victor.

-- My CD. Use coupon code "macjams" on BandCamp.
Mute Albino
Forum Chatty

Tuesday, November 02 2010 @ 04:51 PM CDT

Quote by: Meta4
I would suggest using the EXS24 in Logic. Here's what you do:
1. Record your synth by note, ie: C, D, E, F, G, you can do the sharps/flats to if ya want.
2. Load the samples in the sample editor in Logic and edit them so that they have a short fade in and out
3. Save each note you edit in a sample folder with the synth name as well as the name of the note and it's value. ie: "Synth C3"
4. Next open the EXS24 and click the "edit" button above the volume fader on the right side.
5. This opens the editor for the EXS24, here you can create your own sampled synth.
6. Start by clicking "Instrument" then "New" at the top of the window.
7. Next click "Zone" and "New Zone". This will allow you to load individual samples. Notice that there is a blue bar along the bottom above the piano roll, this indicates your note range. You will want to size it according to what sample you are loading. Above that in the column that says Pitch And Key, set that value to the value of your sample, ie: C3
8. If you have all your samples saved and labeled as I mentioned before with the note Value in them it is even easier.
9. Instead of clicking "New Zone" under the "Zone" drop menu, choose "Load Multiple Samples" this will drop in all your samples in the right place if you have them labeled correctly.
10. Make sure you save you EXS24 Sampler Instrument.

Let me know how it works out man, hopefully this was helpful for ya.

thanks, seems a lot of work, but i will surely try (recording audio i guess?)
Mute Albino
Forum Chatty

Tuesday, November 02 2010 @ 04:58 PM CDT

It's the general midi program 090 (polysynth) that i want, that specific sound. Is there another way or does somebody know any VST/plugin/exs24 patches that sound similar?
taylormorgan
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, November 02 2010 @ 06:30 PM CDT

Hi..You may find something in one of theese videos.. http://vimeo.com/nextstepaudio/videos ..T
Meta4
Forum Regular Poster

Tuesday, November 02 2010 @ 07:19 PM CDT

Quote by: Mute Albino
Quote by: Meta4

thanks, seems a lot of work, but i will surely try (recording audio i guess?)

Yea, it takes a while the first time through, (maybe little over an hour) after you do it once it flys by. The EXS24 is a pretty cool sampler but it can be tricky to work with, once you learn it you can make sample instruments of pretty much anything. I've got some made for my harmonicas, drums, and even blowing on bottles and clinking glasses.

~Peace~Love~Music
michael2
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, November 02 2010 @ 11:06 PM CDT

what the hell?

michael2
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, November 02 2010 @ 11:08 PM CDT

Quote by: Mute Albino
How can I sample my synthesizer sounds and use them in garageband and or logic. I know there was a program that could record a sound at different keys, but i forgot the name of the program.

if you have logic 9, you can just hit record and then play the keys one by one as described before. then you save as a sampler instrument and 21 seconds later you have your exs instrument of your synth.

you can edit the notes after if they need it, but they probably won't if you hit the right keys. IMO though, I would do a fade in as it will limit how you can use those sounds later. solid attack on each note, if you want a fade, then used the ADSR on exs24.

i heart Logic.