Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
KeithBF
Forum Newbie

Connect Yamaha PSR-295 Keyboard
Friday, January 13 2006 @ 09:44 PM CST

Hi,
I'm thinking of buying a Yamaha PSR-295 keyboard. Has anyone successfully used this keyboard with GB? I'm using a G4 and running OS x.3

Thanks,
Keith
Vancouver,BC
Canada
JackDavis42
Forum Newbie

Re:Connect Yamaha PSR-295 Keyboard
Saturday, January 21 2006 @ 03:57 PM CST

Hi, I bought a Yamaha PSR-295 this Christmas and it is quite cool. As a stand alone instrument to teach yourself music I am really impressed. The documentation about Macs is quite pathetic but I have figured it all out. So here you go: You have to download the driver for OS-X (or whatever you are running) from the Yamaha page (google psr-295 and yamaha and you get a url like this:http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail/0,6373,CNTID%253D28530%2526CTID%253D205100%2526RLTID%253D715%2526DETYP%253DRELATION,00.html) Then unpack it and run the installer on your desktop. Plug the wierd USB cable into your keyboard and Mac. Go to page 67 of the Yamaha manual and select PC2 mode. Start Garage band and start recording. When you hit notes on the keyboard you get notation on Garage Band. NOTE: You don't get the voice off the keyboard you get the one you set in Garage Band.

KeithBF
Forum Newbie

Re:Connect Yamaha PSR-295 Keyboard
Saturday, January 21 2006 @ 08:02 PM CST

Hi Jack,

Thanks for replying. Delighted that you got your PSR-295 connected. I gave up on Yamaha. I actually own a PSR-E303 whch I never successfully connectd to my Mac. Unlike the 295, it has a MIDI rather than a USB output. I was prepared to upgrade to a PSR-295, but I could not get a single bit of help from Yamaha Canada's technical support. It has been three emails and three weeks and they haven't replied. So screw them.

I switched to M-Audio and bought a Keystation 88es MIDI controller. What a dream!!!! I plugged it into my Mac via the supplied USB cable (no software drivers necessary for OS X) and it works perfectly with Garage Band and my two other programs Sibelius and eMedia Piano and Keyboard Methods.

I sitll have my PSR-E303. As a stand alone insturment it is GREAT. But Yamaha (at least in Canada) really sucks when it comes to connecting to computers or providing technical support.

Cheers,
Keith, Vancouver, BC
Canada