Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
cjorgensen
Forum Full Member

Instrumental Songs
Wednesday, December 22 2004 @ 11:14 AM CST

From my anecdotal experience of listening and rating songs on this site it looks like about one in five have lyrics. I think the reason for this is obvious. Apple has made it so easy to throw a handful of loops together, add an effect, and call it a song. Maybe I'm being elitist, since I don't know how to play note one on any instrument, but as a music fan, I get bored with song after song that sounds too much like the last five I listened to.

Am I being unfair? Sometimes it also seems like a waste. I hear something that sounds better-than-decent and I wonder why it wasn't fully developed. I tend to rate songs with lyrics higher than none, since the effort seems to be more. I'm just throwing this out there for discussion and to encourage more song writing.

I also love it when people post their lyrics. Other opinions?

A Bloody Dark Pastryman http://www.christopher.jorgensen.name

Re:Instrumental Songs
Wednesday, December 22 2004 @ 12:32 PM CST

I generally would like to see the lyrics when there are some. But I don't mind if a song has no lyrics and I don't judge a song differently if it has no lyrics.
TennesseeVic
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, December 22 2004 @ 01:18 PM CST

There are more possibilities than "lyrics" and "loops thrown together". For instance there is "loops chopped up to something completely new" and "instrumental composition without loops or lyrics".

Personally I don't feel the need for vocals. I write instrumental music. And it doesn't loop.

V.
Cameron
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, December 22 2004 @ 01:46 PM CST

I am an instrumentalist (French horn, harp, keyboards and recorders) and am NOT a vocalist. Trust me on that!

So I would tend not to write lyrics or (especially) sing them on any of my submissions here. I hope that my instrumental pieces please the ear and that people find something good in them. So far, I haven't received too many complaints. Wink

There is definitely room for both vocal and instrumental music, and everything in-between. I don't prefer one type over another. I have enjoyed listening to ALL kinds of music on MacJams.
TennesseeVic
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, December 22 2004 @ 02:06 PM CST

Quote by: Cameron
I am an instrumentalist (French horn, harp, keyboards and recorders) and am NOT a vocalist. Trust me on that!

Tom Waits isn't a vocalist either, but it doesn't seem to stop him. And he "vocalizes" all the way to the bank.

V.
drakonis
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, December 22 2004 @ 02:30 PM CST

There are centuries of classical music that have no lyrics. I personally enjoy a lot of music that has no lyrics. And when I write songs, they usually have no lyrics... why? Because I believe that writing music and writing lyrical poetry are two different talents. Some people are good at both. Not me... oh, and I can't sing either :-) But if somebody writes a beautifully arranged and performed song and it has no lyrics, I won't criticize it because it has no words. But, part of your question/hypothesis was that Apple's GarageBand loops were actually suppressing people's ability to add lyrics to their songs. I'm not sure that's entirely true. It may just be that it has suddenly ENABLED a bunch of people who didn't have the tools to write music to suddenly do so... and now they have to find a tool to help them write lyrics... hey, that gives me an idea... I need to go write an auto-lyrics-generating program and make a killing! Maybe iSoapBox, or iOlog... :-)
ttfn,
Drakonis

Wednesday, December 22 2004 @ 03:00 PM CST

Quote by: drakonis
I need to go write an auto-lyrics-generating program and make a killing! Maybe iSoapBox, or iOlog... :-)
ttfn,
Drakonis

It'll be even easier to write that software if the potential customers for that software will accept lyrics like "da doo ron ron da doo ron ron"
drakonis
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, December 22 2004 @ 04:01 PM CST

So, I googled around and found somebody had already written a lyrics generator! It's on some Chinese website, and is called "the i-Sing" (the red-book CD version.) I took the liberty of running the above first post through it, and it generated the following text, which I post for your amusement. Wink

CJorgensen's song, sung to the tune of a not-yet-written melody...

From my anecdotal experience of listening and rating songs on this site,
(all day, all night..)
it looks like about one in five have lyrics.
I think the reason for this is obvious.
But I don't know if it's right?

Chorus:
Am I being unfair? Sometimes it also seems like a waste.
Are we unaware? Or do the words truly add taste?

Apple has made it so easy
(so easy, so easy..)
to throw a handful of loops together,
add an effect here, and call it a song.
But I don't know if that's wrong?

Chorus:

Maybe I'm being elitist, since I don't know how to play note one
(Not one? Not one!)
on any instrument,
Song after song that sounds like the last five I listened to.
But I don't know why it makes me blue?

Chorus:

I tend to rate songs with lyrics higher than none,
(between ten and one..)
since the effort seems to be more.
I'm just throwing this out there for discussion
But I don't know what's in store?

Chorus:

----
OK, I have definitely had too many cookies and coffee today, and was just being silly up there... I hope everyone (especially CJorgensen) takes this in the upbeat tongue-in-cheek way it was intended. I just wondered if I could try to turn his post into lyrics as a tangential thought experiment. I hope this makes everyone smirk :-)
ttfn,
Drakonis
----
Edit: Daphna and I worked this up into a REAL SONG! Click here to listen to her pop-goodness, made from the words of this forum!

Wednesday, December 22 2004 @ 08:14 PM CST

Quote by: TennesseeVic

Tom Waits isn't a vocalist either, but it doesn't seem to stop him. And he "vocalizes" all the way to the bank.

V.

Eh, if I had half the quality of Tom I wouldn't hesitate singing here. What he misses in range he more than makes up in style.

penguinsocks
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, December 22 2004 @ 11:25 PM CST

so, sir, are you suggesting that lyrics define songs as being different, unique, original? what if i were to say that if i listened to pop radio for half an hour, that everything would sound the same? each one has lyrics, vocals.

here's a suggestion:
if you take the same lyrics and lay them vocally over two different instrumental tracks... and you take one instrumental track and lay two different vocal lyrics over them.. which pairing sounds the most different? i would bet, that two different instrumental tracks could go much further sonically than two different vocals.
and then there's a perfect circle, who took imagine and put it into a minor key... look it up in iTMS.

how do you know which required more effort? i could do a simple ditty with vocals and my acoustic that could take 2 days, versus a symphony with 10 instruments that would take me 2 years. hmm? my collaboration piece Bittersweet, one of the top songs on this site, took 4 days in addition to packo's initial conceiving of it. that's at least 50 hours right there. i've written and practised and recorded a guitar part in 6 hours, and vocals would take another, hmm, 4 perhaps. 10.. versus 50... course that's just speaking for myself.

i don't judge something higher or lower based on how much effort i think someone put in, especially on the grounds of whether they've sung something or not. and i'd rather hear no singing than banshees.

now if you'll excuse me, i have some christmas carols to practise on piano and only 2 more days in which to do so.

(apologies for the above snarky comments.)

"pengy" :: thirteen cent pinball