Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
Go_Turtle_Go
Forum Full Member

Re:I have iPad lust
Thursday, January 28 2010 @ 11:14 AM CST

Quote by: particledots
no

just looks like a super iphone/pod to me
disappointed it hasnt got OSX on it

may have some useful music application usefulness in a limited way - in the future - would be good if it had some kind of midi interface to allow it to be used as a controller

one huge set back is that - as of yet - it doesn't do multi-tasking. the general tenure on ars technica is a depressed one. it is a whole lot of everything/ nothing. a blown up iphone is the best analogy imo. but who knows, like you said, a multi-touch controller....wowzers.... :-))))
stevel
Forum Full Member

Thursday, January 28 2010 @ 11:16 AM CST

smokey bacon jnr
Forum Full Member

Thursday, January 28 2010 @ 11:46 AM CST

That cracked me up!
chikoppi
Forum Full Member

Thursday, January 28 2010 @ 11:47 AM CST

Quote by: Go_Turtle_Go
one huge set back is that - as of yet - it doesn't do multi-tasking. the general tenure on ars technica is a depressed one. it is a whole lot of everything/ nothing. a blown up iphone is the best analogy imo. but who knows, like you said, a multi-touch controller....wowzers.... :-))))

Yup. The criticisms I've seen so far have all been valid - Lack of multitasking, camera, robust input/output, OSX, etc. The iPhone too, upon initial release, was overpriced and under-featured.

I think it will take some time to figure out how people (i.e., "the market") value and utilize this type of device. Apple is very good at listening and reacting to the market. They typically respond faster than the competition when it comes to satisfying customer's desires. The iPad will no doubt go through some evolution in the next couple of years. Even with all criticism acknowledged, I expect this device to to become a category leader much as the iPhone did. I'm just not sure if the eventual market for the iPad will be "revolutionary" or simply a second-tier revenue stream for Apple.

“Ya, that idea is dildos.” Skwisgaar Skwigelf
GET SONG FEEDBACK --> MacJams Critics Circles
Go_Turtle_Go
Forum Full Member

Thursday, January 28 2010 @ 11:52 AM CST

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/apple_introduces_revolutionary

hahahahhaha, an apple with one giant mouse like thing. and look at how the dude is typing a letter, it would take me an hour to write a note to someone. i have no idea if this is real or a prank, but dang is this invention dumb (ok, imnotsoho).
Go_Turtle_Go
Forum Full Member

Thursday, January 28 2010 @ 11:54 AM CST

Quote by: chikoppi
Quote by: Go_Turtle_Go

Yup. The criticisms I've seen so far have all been valid - Lack of multitasking, camera, robust input/output, OSX, etc. The iPhone too, upon initial release, was overpriced and under-featured.

I think it will take some time to figure out how people (i.e., "the market") value and utilize this type of device. Apple is very good at listening and reacting to the market. They typically respond faster than the competition when it comes to satisfying customer's desires. The iPad will no doubt go through some evolution in the next couple of years. Even with all criticism acknowledged, I expect this device to to become a category leader much as the iPhone did. I'm just not sure if the eventual market for the iPad will be "revolutionary" or simply a second-tier revenue stream for Apple.

i agree, if they crank up the specs, give it a normal os this could be the future of tablet pc's. for now it is a giant iphone.

"Is that a Iphone in your pants or are you reaaaally happy to see me?"
Go_Turtle_Go
Forum Full Member

Thursday, January 28 2010 @ 11:56 AM CST

Quote by: VicDiesel
may have some useful music application usefulness in a limited way - in the future - would be good if it had some kind of midi interface to allow it to be used as a controller

This is way cheaper than a Jazz Mutant (http://www.jazzmutant.com/lemur_overview.php) so if the interface problems are not too big (does it have FireWire? USB3?) it could be very attractive.

Victor.

Havent heard of the jazz mutant before...just found some videos of it on youtube...that is a cool gadget (way cooler than the ipad)

i was thinking about the potential of an ipad app to make it behave like a korg kaos pad...but if there is no interface - usb or firewire - seems like it couldnt happen

oh...and that jazz mutant is seriously cool

It is, and it is seriously expensive and seriously, very seriously do-it-yourself stuff. stay far away from it if you don't want to program it yourself.
CrazeeFlootGrrl
Forum Regular Poster

Thursday, January 28 2010 @ 01:17 PM CST

Totally in luv with it! Almost tempted to get it instead of a touch. But a touch is more portable...
jgurner
Forum Full Member

Thursday, January 28 2010 @ 03:27 PM CST

Quote by: MarkHolbrook
I recently attended a welding class at our local Community College and was a little miffed to see that the course required a book written by the class teacher...

I still have one I had to buy in journalism grad school 20 years ago. It was written by the professor and assistant head of the department and was on the news industry in India. Needless to say, it had nothing whatsoever to do with what his class was actually about, but he checked to make sure everyone had spent the $75 on his book.

jgurner
Forum Full Member

Thursday, January 28 2010 @ 03:33 PM CST

Just last week I read an article that one of the larger school districts here in poor, ole Mississippi is providing every student, grades 6-12, with their own MacBook. Each student will be loaned out the same computer at the beginning of the school year. It will be loaded with digital copies of their text books and students will do all their assignments on the computer and e-mail them to their instructors.

I remember almost 30 years ago when my high school got its first computer. Three class rooms got a shiny new Apple II and no one was allowed to touch it. They just sat there in the classrooms unused. (I actually have one of them now.)

It kind of makes me think that down the road maybe the iPad might take the place of student laptops. I can see some definite advantages, but disadvantages as well. One of the main things I'm wondering is how durable it is. Plus the price might make it a little more accessible to school districts that a laptop.