Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
CBGB_DEMO
Forum Chatty

CBGB's Challenge ON
Sunday, March 30 2008 @ 06:13 PM CDT

ONLY ONE WEEK LEFT TO GET YOUR PUNK ASS IN GEAR. PLEASE WAIT TILL FRIDAY TO POST AND PUT CBGB IN THE TITLE SO I CAN FIND ALL THIS CRAP.

WoodstockMJ was a brilliantly simple concept and really attracted a lot of great tunes and positive energy. A little while back Egobandit mentioned a similar idea based around CBGB's - the legendary Lower East Side NY music club that introduced the world to the Ramones, Talking Heads, Blondie, etc. and gave space and credibility to a whole other generation of musicians. I decided that he had a good idea that could roll - though he's too busy with his new kid and work to admin - so I'll run with it. I got his stamp of approval. WoodstockMJ showed us that there is no shortage of aging hippies and fellow travelers here - it's time for the Punks, New Wavers, No Wavers, Rockabillys and Hardcores to step up.

The concept is simple. You are a band trying to get a gig at CBGB's and the only way to do that is to send in your demo tape and pray. Now the norm in the day was to have a live tape with 3 to 5 songs on it - if you didn't have a record out. One song is all you need for the CBGB Demo Challenge. More details will come later. The idea here is just to see if there's any interest in this project and what the timing should be. Too much too soon? or Let's Rock!

On board so far: Five Extra Arms, Rik Berryere, SmokeyVW, Vic Holman, Rabbitwhole, gregd w/ Ledebutant, Michael2, Bud, jgurner, stratcat, BrianD, Tom Wounded, rsorensen, DWL, screamalexz, Nick Flash, The Skank Brothers, Splinter, davisamerica, Peter Bauckham, I. Spike, lineofdeadpixels, The Infinites, PickQuick Records,

Photobucket

home of underground rock
stratcat
Forum Full Member

Re:CBGB's Challenge
Sunday, March 30 2008 @ 06:20 PM CDT

I like the concept. A virtual club circuit tour. Maybe the next virtual club would be Checkerboard Lounge, or Legends from Chicago.
Cool idea though, the Woodstock thing seems to be a great success. Good creative thinking.

Sunday, March 30 2008 @ 06:23 PM CDT

Quote by: CBGB_DEMO
The concept is simple. You are a band trying to get a gig at CBGB's and the only way to do that is to send in your demo tape and pray. Now the norm in the day was to have a live tape with 3 to 5 songs on it - if you didn't have a record out. One song is all you need for the CBGB Demo Challenge. More details will come later. The idea here is just to see if there's any interest in this project and what the timing should be. Too much too soon? or Let's Rock!

Feedback please.

I'd be VERY interested! As long as there's at least three weeks to cook something up, I'd be willing to try and get into CBGBs. Both the current Challenges are in their final week, and the energy and creativity levels around here are hot.

Let's ROCK!
CBGB_DEMO
Forum Chatty

Sunday, March 30 2008 @ 06:55 PM CDT

Quote by: stratcat
I like the concept. A virtual club circuit tour. Maybe the next virtual club would be Checkerboard Lounge, or Legends from Chicago.
Cool idea though, the Woodstock thing seems to be a great success. Good creative thinking.

Good forward thinking. Next stop - Chicago Blues. I like that.

home of underground rock
CBGB_DEMO
Forum Chatty

Sunday, March 30 2008 @ 07:00 PM CDT

Quote by: Rik Berryere
Quote by: CBGB_DEMO

Feedback please.

I'd be VERY interested! As long as there's at least three weeks to cook something up, I'd be willing to try and get into CBGBs. Both the current Challenges are in their final week, and the energy and creativity levels around here are hot.

Let's ROCK!

Absolutely - there should be time for people to get it together. In keeping with the genre - maybe two weeks start to stop. LOUD FAST RULES.

home of underground rock
rabittwhole
Forum Full Member

Sunday, March 30 2008 @ 07:04 PM CDT

yep.... a bit of a breather and we're in .... still trying to catch all the current tunes on both challenges ... man this is insane!

* Post Removed *
Sunday, March 30 2008 @ 07:14 PM CDT

* This message has been removed *
jgurner
Forum Full Member

Sunday, March 30 2008 @ 07:20 PM CDT

I'm in and ready for some slam dancing!!!!
bud
Forum Full Member

Sunday, March 30 2008 @ 08:33 PM CDT

OMG - it's actually 26 years since I played CB's. They had a great sound system and you could get a board tape of your set for $5.00.

I'm ready - let's go - but a short breather from WoodstockMJ might be a good idea. My shoulders are so stiff that it'll take me at least a week to take off my tie-dye and rip an old T-shirt.

It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done.

Brian D
Forum Full Member

Sunday, March 30 2008 @ 09:18 PM CDT

I'd like to do one for this!

ONE TWO THREE FOUR.............