Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
MACJAMS_REUNION_FESTIVAL
Forum Chatty

MJ REUNION ANECDOTES
Wednesday, January 21 2009 @ 02:37 PM CST

While I've been trawling through all the songs submitted since MJ began, and doing likewise with some stats that Doadar's Uncle (Doug) sent me, I felt like I was only scraping the surface - because while music is what MJ is mainly about, there's also the day to day life of MJ that goes on in chat and the forums and in song comments.

Whether it be by contributing or just listening, most of us have enjoyed collaborations at MJ; there have been festivals and challenges; there have been celebrations and times of sadness. I seem to remember some times of controversy also Wink

I'm on a bit of a roll here, and would greatly appreciate people posting their perceptions of some of the events of our MJ history so I can add to the different pages of the festival (1st to 14th February if you aren't aware yet).

Please make sure you give me a date/year for your recollection!

OK, I hope you have a song ready for the Reunion Fest - see you there!

Neil
Cool

MJRFbanner2007

* Post Removed *
Wednesday, January 21 2009 @ 02:59 PM CST

* This message has been removed *
bud
Forum Full Member

Re:MJ REUNION ANECDOTES
Wednesday, January 21 2009 @ 03:44 PM CST

After spending about a year and a half here getting my feet wet and meeting some great people, my connection to MJ was greatly enhanced by Chikoppi's launch of the first Loop It Or Lose It challenge. See link: LIOLI 1.
It's important to understand how this challenge came about. Back in the fall of 2006 Egobandit had gotten flamed by someone for using loops in his songs, so he posted to the forum something along the lines of "What's all the fuss about loops?" If anyone can locate the thread I'd appreciate it - it's a beauty. Of course what followed was an extremely heated debate about the use of loops in recordings, bringing out the best and worst in the community. Are "loopers" musicians or arrangers? Are people that play instruments "real musicians" and those that don't some other species. You can just imagine.
The result of all this back and forth was Chikoppi's brilliant suggestion that everyone use the same loop in a song - within certain parameters (see link) - and let the results speak to the issue. Solomon couldn't have come up with a better solution - it was time to get down to the music - not the method. I had a great time working on my entry and listening to all of the submissions. LIOLI went on to become a recurring event that never ceases to energize the community and bring out new levels of creativity. Thanks Brian - thanks Tim.

This has been a MacJams Minute from 2006. Post yours.

It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done.

Wednesday, January 21 2009 @ 04:07 PM CST

In a direct quote of one of my forum posts, someone said, "You are a moron"

Indeed, I resemble that remark, and I deserve it. 30 lashes, self flagellation, and years later haven't cured me yet.

iAm Moron. It doesn't feel good to be a moron, and I recognize the fact. I could rationalize that IT'S! insanity, but then I might be mistaken by myself for pure genius.

Quote by: obbster
Quote by: Rocha Malhada
Quote by: MikkiTaro
Result - I hate being subjected to multiple pop-up windows and browser manipulation spam.

It's your prerogative to manipulate your own browser to block/filter spam & pop-up windows. No one solicited you to vote or to participate in the forum, so why are you subjecting yourself to it against your free will?

I beg your pardon?

I did not have my mind-reader cap on before I clicked your survey. Shame on me, my current measures have not sufficed in blocking your spam. That would be MY fault, I see your rationale.

So, if an army comes through my neighborhood shooting bullets in every direction without a moments notice, shame on me if I happen to be pierced by one of them.

I hardly see why it is spam. A harmless survey? I don't see the reason for your little outburst - noone made you read the post, or participate in the poll. In fact, i don't even know why im wasting my time with posting a reply to you.

You are a moron.

* Post Removed *
Wednesday, January 21 2009 @ 04:22 PM CST

* This message has been removed *
Moviz
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, January 21 2009 @ 04:36 PM CST

Well I'm still proud of the fact that I was once called a 'Whippersnapper' LOL. M

It's never too late.... is it?
VicDiesel
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, January 21 2009 @ 04:55 PM CST

Quote by: Moviz
Well I'm still proud of the fact that I was once called a 'Whippersnapper' LOL. M

I believe my alter ego was once called a "curmudgeon", which amused him no end, as he told me on his iPhone from the front porch of his cabin in McMinn country, Tennssee.

Victor.

PS anyone who uses the term "LOL" deserves to be called a whippersnapper.

-- My CD.

Wednesday, January 21 2009 @ 05:45 PM CST

Quote by: VicDiesel

PS anyone who uses the term "LOL" deserves to be called a whippersnapper.

I am laughing out loud. Victor, you are one of those people on my "Who is most helpful" list that I was not going to mention previously. Sincerely.

. - Harold
MJ_Reunion_Festival_2005
Forum Newbie

Wednesday, January 21 2009 @ 06:19 PM CST

oops - quickly changes hats!

MJRF

MACJAMS_REUNION_FESTIVAL
Forum Chatty

Wednesday, January 21 2009 @ 06:21 PM CST

In a direct quote of one of my forum posts, someone said, "You are a moron"

Indeed, I resemble that remark, and I deserve it. 30 lashes, self flagellation, and years later haven't cured me yet.

iAm Moron. It doesn't feel good to be a moron, and I recognize the fact. I could rationalize that IT'S! insanity, but then I might be mistaken by myself for pure genius.

Quote by: obbster
Quote by: MikkiTaro
Result - I hate being subjected to multiple pop-up windows and browser manipulation spam.

It's your prerogative to manipulate your own browser to block/filter spam & pop-up windows. No one solicited you to vote or to participate in the forum, so why are you subjecting yourself to it against your free will?

I beg your pardon?

I did not have my mind-reader cap on before I clicked your survey. Shame on me, my current measures have not sufficed in blocking your spam. That would be MY fault, I see your rationale.

So, if an army comes through my neighborhood shooting bullets in every direction without a moments notice, shame on me if I happen to be pierced by one of them.

I hardly see why it is spam. A harmless survey? I don't see the reason for your little outburst - noone made you read the post, or participate in the poll. In fact, i don't even know why im wasting my time with posting a reply to you.

You are a moron.

Can I have a year please Harold?

Smile

MJRFbanner2007