Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
chikoppi
Forum Full Member

Loop It or Lose It #3
Saturday, October 14 2006 @ 09:16 PM CDT

Announcing the Loop It or Lose It Challenge!

The Rules
One stock loop* will be identified each round. Your challenge is to take that loop and create a song that features it prominently. You can use the loop however you like. Change the pitch and tempo, layer on effects, cut it into pieces, add other loops, play live instruments with it, add vocals, whatever. Be as creative as you like, just so long as the loop lies at the heart of your creation.

MIDI Loops: When using a midi loop you may NOT open the loop to change the individual notes. You MAY transpose the loop itself or change the type of instrument to which the loop is assigned. Also, you must use at least 4 continuous beats of a midi loop - you may NOT use any portion of the loop less than 4 continuous beats in length.

Posting Your Song
Wait until the official posting date before you post your completed song to MacJams. This will ensure that no one is inadvertently influenced by someone else's work. As soon as your song has posted leave a note in this forum so we can all find it. (Note: If your challenge entry is your first post to MacJams you can post it two days early. This will help offset the delay for approval required for a member's first song post.)

* When looking for a loop in your Garageband, Logic, or Logic Express loop browser remember to turn off the browser filters (such as "filter for more relevant results"). To verify that you have the correct loop listen to the audio introduction for the current round.

ROUND #3:
LOOP: To Be Announced March 2
POSTING DATE: Saturday, March 17, 2007

Loop It or Lose It Round #3 Entries

ROUND #2: --> AUDIO INTRODUCTION

LOOP: 70s Ballad Piano 02
POSTING DATE: Saturday, December 9, 2006 (closed)

Loop It or Lose It Round #2 Entries
Loop It Or Lose It II - deputydoofy
'Lil Bit - rcandrews
Coming Home - announcer
What to Do - Death Nougat
Freeway - abstractreality
Thistle - The Orbiting
Deadline - warmvox
Jam Loop 2 - peacepiano

ROUND #1: --> AUDIO INTRODUCTION

LOOP: "Modern Rock Guitar #11"
POSTING DATE: Friday, October 27, 2006 (closed)

Loop It or Lose It Round #1 Entries
Loop and Drum - The Composer
Unbroken - Magritte
Break the Loop - smokeyvw
ModRock IV - hlurper
Loop It or Lose It - deputydoofy
Loopy RG11 - warmvox
Canis Lupus - rschletty
Psychedelic YoYo - announcer
d r i f t - bud
Lio Lita - Crimson Moon
LoopItLoozIt - Alimar
Planetoid - perceptualvortex
Headbone - Rik Berryere
Spine - chikoppi
Hardest Stone - Joanna
funky lump - Karmatoburn
Sliced - mikey_d
trouble again - datafunk
World That Breathed - The Orbiting
"Unofficial" Entries: (Peaceful Surrender - MiketheInsomniac, Enthalpy - pooey )

C'mon all you miscreants and musical geniuses - you know you want to play along! Grab that loop and express your individuality!

“Ya, that idea is dildos.” Skwisgaar Skwigelf
GET SONG FEEDBACK --> MacJams Critics Circles
MiketheInsomniac
Forum Junior

Re:Loop It or Lose It
Saturday, October 14 2006 @ 10:45 PM CDT

How funny is this...I just happened to be purusing the forums and stumbled across this post. Very intriguing, forcing us to make a single loop the heart of our songs. I'd love to see this become an ongoing MacJam tradition. I'll cut to the chase: The reason I find this so funny is because I actually created a song over a year ago with that same guitar riff (Mod. rock #11). I just went thru my old beta CD's of my old GB tunes and found it and uploaded it. It's old, choppy, and kinda amateurish in execution, but is still a fun listen even now. So here's my submission for the challenge: 'Peaceful Surrender'. ~MTI

http://www.macjams.com/song/25157
ledebutant
Forum Full Member

Saturday, October 14 2006 @ 10:54 PM CDT

Brian, I'd really like to do this, but oddly, I have lots of Modern Rock Guitar loops, but not #11. I'm working with GB3 and I have all of the JamPacks except the first one. Would it be possible for someone to email me the loop at ledebutant@gmail.com. Thank you so much in advance.

This is going to be so much fun!!
chikoppi
Forum Full Member

Saturday, October 14 2006 @ 10:54 PM CDT

Quote by: MiketheInsomniac
I'll cut to the chase: The reason I find this so funny is because I actually created a song over a year ago with that same guitar riff (Mod. rock #11). I just went thru my old beta CD's of my old GB tunes and found it and uploaded it.

You uploaded before the official posting date, but since this is a pre-existing song I don't see why we shouldn't include it! You could always create another just for the challenge...

perceptualvortex
Forum Full Member

Saturday, October 14 2006 @ 11:48 PM CDT

I think this is a great idea.

You're talking about the loop called "Modern Rock Clean Guitar 11.aiff", correct? I also have a "Modern Rock Dirty Guitar 11.aiff", but the first one sounds like the one in the back of your informational.
chikoppi
Forum Full Member

Sunday, October 15 2006 @ 12:10 AM CDT

Quote by: perceptualvortex
You're talking about the loop called "Modern Rock Clean Guitar 11.aiff", correct? I also have a "Modern Rock Dirty Guitar 11.aiff", but the first one sounds like the one in the back of your informational.

Yup. You can hear the loop in the background of the audio introduction. I wasn't aware that there was more than one version (maybe the second version came with Garageband 2.0?). In my Garageband 1.0 loop browser it is listed as "Modern Rock Guitar 11."

P.S. I can't wait to hear what you do with it!

pooey
Forum Full Member

Sunday, October 15 2006 @ 12:11 AM CDT

Quote by: ledebutant
Brian, I'd really like to do this, but oddly, I have lots of Modern Rock Guitar loops, but not #11. I'm working with GB3 and I have all of the JamPacks except the first one. Would it be possible for someone to email me the loop at ledebutant@gmail.com. Thank you so much in advance.

This is going to be so much fun!!

Unless you deleted it, it should be there. It won't show up though unless you have your song in the key of D - F (or something like that). The loop is in E, so it won't pop up if your song is in C or Gx.. Create a song in E and you will find it (I think). *Hey folks, can't you turn off that key filter in preferences?*

By the way, when I listened to this loop it reminded me of one of the best/funniest songs on the site. Go check out Dr, Skeleton's Jaime Enrique. It's explicit, but if you enjoy slacker comedy, then check it out. I really miss Dr. Skeleton. I think he should get an honorary entry into the contest.

Jim

My Wife Revealed
ledebutant
Forum Full Member

Sunday, October 15 2006 @ 02:00 AM CDT

Brian sent me the loop. Thank you! Also, you're right Pooey, I had that preference set to "filter for more relevant results."
VicDiesel
Forum Full Member

Sunday, October 15 2006 @ 07:42 AM CDT

Hey, thanks for setting this up. Cool idea.

Unfortunately I'll be busy or on travel in the coming weeks, but I might try to give it a shot.

Victor.

-- My CD.

deputydoofy
Forum Full Member

Sunday, October 15 2006 @ 08:40 AM CDT

Wait, can I confirm the loop name as well? I actually have a loop called, "Modern Rock Guitar 11." Is this the loop? On the key I'm using, I don't have a Modern Rock CLEAN guitar 11 (though I have 10 and 12).

Edit: To make things worse, I just found Modern Rock CLEAN by trying different keys, and it is not the same as the tune I already started. I'm sure this will already be a problem, as people start submitting tunes that don't have the same loop.

Can we clarify right now which loop we need?
- Modern Rock Guitar 11 (I'm using this one)
- Modern Rock Clean Guitar 11
- Modern Rock Dirty Guitar 11

Thanks!