Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
dave_b
Forum Full Member

Izotope IDrum 1.7 integration with GarageBand
Thursday, June 11 2009 @ 02:54 PM CDT

I am running Mac OS 10.4.8 and GarageBand 3.0.4

After successfully installing Izotope IDrum 1.7, I got the following error dialog box after attempting to select Drum Kits - IDrum Default from the Track Info panel in GarageBand.

"This Apple Loops File was created using an effect or instrument which is not available. The plugin Idrum is not available"

I did open a ticket with Izotope support, and they told me to delete a file 'com.apple.audiounits.cache' which didn't exist on my machine. Now they want me to upgrade the OS along with GB and ILife, uninstall Idrum, manually uninstall the files their uninstall program didn't take care of, and then reinstall IDrum.

I was wondering if anyone here had experienced a similar problem, and found a simpler solution! I'd appreciate any help anyone has to offer.

Thanks,
Dave

dave_b
Forum Full Member

Re:Izotope IDrum 1.7 integration with GarageBand
Saturday, June 13 2009 @ 10:21 AM CDT

Hi all,

This problem has been resolved.

It turns out there was a simpler solution. All I had to do was install the AudioUnits version of Idrum.

Of course there is not a word in the Quick Start docs or online help about having to install this version to integrate with GB.

Good thing I didn't follow the recommendations of Izotope support - I'd be out another $300 for Leopard and ILife 09 and the problem still wouldn't have been solved.

Dave

* Post Removed *
Saturday, June 13 2009 @ 10:45 AM CDT

* This message has been removed *
dave_b
Forum Full Member

Sunday, June 14 2009 @ 09:26 AM CDT

Hi Andy,

I liked your "Thunder Road" cover.

I installed IDrum from the CD - I didn't download it. There was one choice that pertained to Logic which I have heard of, so I thought that generally the rest of the choices pertained to sequencer brands as well (VST = Verygood Sequencer Technology? Smile). Since GarageBand was not one of the choices, I picked standalone, the only other choice which wasn't some kind of buzzword acronym.

I've since googled VST, and audiounits and understand that they are competing technologies that enable integration of software packages such as IDrum with sequencers. However, I don't think that a software company such as Izotope should assume this knowledge on the part of their customer especially since IDrum can be integrated with an entry level product such as GarageBand. If Izotope had made some more thoughtful choices on how they presented the installation options, like mapping the choices to sequencer brands, or including a short description of each option on the install screen, pain could have been obviated. Hopefully Izotope monitors forums like this one and uses the feedback to improve their products.

* Post Removed *
Sunday, June 14 2009 @ 09:52 AM CDT

* Post Removed *
Sunday, June 14 2009 @ 11:37 AM CDT

dave_b
Forum Full Member

Sunday, June 14 2009 @ 01:06 PM CDT

Hi Jonk.

I completely agree with your assertion that I need to be schooled. However, this doesn't preclude a software company sucb as Izotope having clear documentation on installation choices.

Picture installing a word processor which asks you if you want the installation to support Ole32 automation. WTF right? How about if it asked you whether or not you wanted to insert images or spreadsheets in your documents? A lot clearer right?

As a developer myself for the past 18 years who has had the dubious pleasure of writing end user docs on a number of occasions I've had my feet held to the fire for the same kind of buzzword laden choices that I'm objecting to here - and I did get better at it, and the users were happier.

Until companies are taken to task for poor docs, the same problems will occur in the future.

Dave

* Post Removed *
Sunday, June 14 2009 @ 01:14 PM CDT

dave_b
Forum Full Member

Sunday, June 14 2009 @ 03:26 PM CDT

Hmm, that's just the way it is... reminds of that Bruce Hornsby & The Range song that came out a long time ago.

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum. Perhaps we'll get an opportunity to converse on some other topics.

Dave

Jim Bouchard
Forum Full Member

Sunday, June 14 2009 @ 04:12 PM CDT

iZotope seems to have made this pretty simple to understand, even for a beginner: http://izotope.fileburst.com/izvideo/idrum_beginners.zip