Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
Ibstrat
Forum Full Member

Equalize volume cd?
Wednesday, December 23 2009 @ 06:50 AM CST

I'm trying to burn a cd off of itunes on a pc.The volume levels of the songs are pretty uneven- is there any easy way to make the volume levels uniform? I know there's a function on itunes but it doesn't seem to work, and ivolume only works on macs I think.
PrototypeEightyOne
Forum Full Member

Re:Equalize volume cd?
Wednesday, December 23 2009 @ 07:01 AM CST

You burning software should have a "normalize" function. this should help level out volumes, although sometimes it doesnt work out the first try. You may need to select different normalization levels to get a happy medium across all tracks. I recommend CD-R's so you can rewrite if necessary. Good luck!

A Lone Wolf in a Vast Universe.
Jim Bouchard
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, December 23 2009 @ 07:03 AM CST

There isn't really an automated way to do this. You can use whatever audio editing or recording software that you have, such as Garageband or Audacity, to open the files and normalize them all individually. And then send the new normalized versions in iTunes and create a new playlist to burn your CD from.The function in iTunes only works on playback in iTunes.
VicDiesel
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, December 23 2009 @ 10:49 AM CST

Quote by: PrototypeEightyOne
You burning software should have a "normalize" function.

That makes all the peaks equally loud. It probaby does nothing for the overall, perceived volume.

I think this is a difficult problem. Use something like Logic's Waveburner, and an RMS meter.

Victor.

-- My CD. Use coupon code "macjams" on BandCamp.
PrototypeEightyOne
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, December 23 2009 @ 11:00 AM CST

its my understanding that it should help with consistency though, and doesnt require much effort or problem solving.

A Lone Wolf in a Vast Universe.
bud
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, December 23 2009 @ 11:13 AM CST

When I do a CD I put all the songs in GB on separate tracks and then create a mix balancing each song individually. Once I'm happy with the way it sounds - I export each song separately to iTunes. You can also send the whole mix to iTunes and cut it apart there. I assume the same process would work with logic or any other platform.

It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done.
Jim Bouchard
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, December 23 2009 @ 11:28 AM CST

Quote by: bud
You can also send the whole mix to iTunes and cut it apart there.

How do you do that? I didn't think you could edit songs in iTunes, other than changing the tags.
I actually use Peak to do this and yeah, normalizing is not the best way to adjust perceived volume between songs. And the fact is that iTunes doesn't have a way to normalize songs. Because you can't alter the actual audio content in iTunes, you can only alter playback within iTunes.
rover101
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, December 23 2009 @ 02:27 PM CST

http://destroyfx.smartelectronix.com/

Free AU's; the one you want is RMS buddy, which gives you RMS levels that correspond very closely to perceived volume. Another real useful tool in there is Monomaker

Noli bastardi carborundum
SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, December 23 2009 @ 03:06 PM CST

Quote by: Jim Bouchard
Quote by: bud
You can also send the whole mix to iTunes and cut it apart there.

How do you do that? I didn't think you could edit songs in iTunes, other than changing the tags.
I actually use Peak to do this and yeah, normalizing is not the best way to adjust perceived volume between songs. And the fact is that iTunes doesn't have a way to normalize songs. Because you can't alter the actual audio content in iTunes, you can only alter playback within iTunes.

in iTunes you can set the start time and end time on a track as well as the volume adjustment. i've never actually messed with it though.

select a song, do Get Info, open the Options tab.

Jim Bouchard
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, December 23 2009 @ 03:13 PM CST

Quote by: rover101
http://destroyfx.smartelectronix.com/

Free AU's; the one you want is RMS buddy, which gives you RMS levels that correspond very closely to perceived volume. Another real useful tool in there is Monomaker

I thought that RMS buddy was just a metering device, not for destructive editing of the audio file.
Quote by: SmokeyVW
in iTunes you can set the start time and end time on a track as well as the volume adjustment. i've never actually messed with it though.

I didn't think it changed the audio file though, just set these parameters for playback. My understanding was that iTunes was not a DAW or audio editing program. It certainly has never been marketed that way, and you would think Apple would have marketed that capability if it had it. I have to admit I've never tried it either. It seems like it might be somewhat inexact since you have no way to make a close inspection of the audio file.