Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
particledots
Forum Full Member

When did america become untethered from reality?
Saturday, November 11 2017 @ 07:56 AM CST

chikoppi
Forum Full Member

Re:When did america become untethered from reality?
Saturday, November 11 2017 @ 09:23 AM CST

C'mon man.

We don't need a million threads wherein you dump a random link without comment.

Please stick to the "Brace For Impact" thread. Otherwise it becomes a bit much.

“Ya, that idea is dildos.” Skwisgaar Skwigelf
GET SONG FEEDBACK --> MacJams Critics Circles
particledots
Forum Full Member

Saturday, November 11 2017 @ 11:54 AM CST

its not a random link
J.A.Stewart
Forum Full Member

Saturday, November 11 2017 @ 11:56 AM CST

Any way you look at it...

MY LATEST: A demo version of my Work-In-Progress DAILY GRIND
Ed Hannifin
Forum Full Member

Saturday, November 11 2017 @ 03:23 PM CST

Quote by: particledots
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/09/how-america-lost-its-mind/534231/

I saw this back in September, Bryn, and, even though I'd quibble at some of its points, I think it's a good overview...Thanks for posting it...

"We have to remember...when it's surrender that's called for, it's not surrender of your brains. It's surrender of your ego. It's a different thing." --Bruce Cockburn
davisamerica
Forum Full Member

Saturday, November 11 2017 @ 06:06 PM CST

Bryn .... maybe Kennedy ... maybe earlier .....

I have finally figured this out but now I have forgotten what to use it for.
SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

Sunday, November 12 2017 @ 05:08 PM CST

so, the millennials will be glad when all us old hippies are dead and gone, and then they can begin to run the world properly again.
MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

Sunday, November 12 2017 @ 07:13 PM CST

Also – “if America lost its mind, I say, it started doing so about forty years ago, and it is only now(!) beginning to wake up!”

For many decades, this country seemed willing to accept anything that its Congress and/or its President offered to them ... without comment.

Until now.   Yeah, maybe their “unconventional choice for President” smacks some people as being much too unconventional ... but, is it, really?   Maybe some of this is something that we have been missing for much too long.   Now, perhaps at last, the Electorate is becoming involved and active.   (I did not say, “radical[ized].” )

Maybe it’s a new generation – maybe it’s the Internet – I don’t know.   But I do see a level of political involvement, and interest in being politically involved, which has been missing for a very long time.   And, even though the media is very quick to typecast it (I think, wrongly), what I think that I am now seeing is quite sober.
Ed Hannifin
Forum Full Member

Thursday, November 16 2017 @ 07:54 AM CST

"We have to remember...when it's surrender that's called for, it's not surrender of your brains. It's surrender of your ego. It's a different thing." --Bruce Cockburn

Daugrin
Forum Full Member

Thursday, November 16 2017 @ 09:51 PM CST

Quote by: particledots
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/09/how-america-lost-its-mind/534231/

The answer to you poser depends on the rigor of the pursuit of truth the searcher is willing to endure. Cultural delusion in America, as a tool of governance is present as far back as the Wilson admin... I hope the following helps...

For the contemporary audience? Ernie Johnson, 64-66, is the first public entertainer to openly struggle against delusion on American television. Johnson's audience was small. Hunter S.Thompson's '67 Hell's Angels book was national, by the time Thompson published his following piece on the Kentucky Derby he literally became The Great Gonzo. Fear and Loathing soon railed against delusion.

Anti-delusionists need a name drop: Nietzsche? Artaud? Camus? Picasso? Salinger? Hemingway? Steinbeck? Certain films featuring Bogart? During the many war years the US govt kept dissent at a minimum and delusion high, usually by brute force.

For example, George Patton led US Army troops destroyed encampments WW1 vets had made in Washington DC during national protests of pension issues, casualties and riots followed, there is no memory of this event in mass consciousness. Sadly, the worker's movement, civil and spiritual rights struggles experienced outcomes with poor mass memory.

Move into the mid 50s, delusion is epidemic in the media due to the cold war, it becomes difficult to figure out what is dissent and what is co-opted dissent. The rulers got smarter? How can we, today, tell the difference? Here is my suggestion; find out if specific clothes were worn which made the dissent authentic. For example: in the 50s Elvis the phenom, Link Ray and most pulp fiction were delusion. Making illegal liquor, homeopathic medicine and science fiction was real dissent.

Daug