Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
chikoppi
Forum Full Member

Studio Strings
Saturday, February 03 2018 @ 12:47 PM CST

Has anyone experimented much with studio strings?

The section presets, generally, sound really good. I've set up chords to compare the same string section both using the "auto voice split" feature and without. The auto voice split, generally, produces incredibly realistic and lush-sounding ensembles. This instrument has a lot of potential.

However, I've noticed that there are times when the auto voice split drops notes in a chord. This seems to happen only following a chord change. That is, the first chord in a series always plays correctly. That same chord, when following another, might have notes dropped.

I can't quite figure out what causes this behavior. My current guess is that studio strings is dividing sections into a limited number of parts and then attempts to apply voice leading to assign instruments to notes when transitioning between chords. It's unfortunate, because having the 3rd, 7th, or 9th dropped from a chord completely changes its character.

This might imply that studio strings attempts to follow the assignments in a typical ensemble: violin I, violin II, viola, cello, contrabass (five sections). However, studio strings seems capable of both divisi (dividing-up one section to play multiple notes) and unison (the same note being played by two sections at once). Theoretically, all the notes in a chord should sound.

Here's the documentation from Apple:

https://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/10.4/#/lgcpeedd5d4a

If I have time I might put together an audio track to demonstrate these quirks. If anyone finds a solution please do share!

“Ya, that idea is dildos.” Skwisgaar Skwigelf
GET SONG FEEDBACK --> MacJams Critics Circles
Doug Somers
Forum Full Member

Re:Studio Strings
Saturday, February 03 2018 @ 01:50 PM CST

I'm away from my computer at the moment. Are these new for 10.4? If so, my Mac is too old to download them as I think it needs the latest OS?
chikoppi
Forum Full Member

Saturday, February 03 2018 @ 03:35 PM CST

Yeah, it's a new instrument in 10.4 (sorry!).

I couldn't find a video that demonstrates this with chords, but at the end of this video (3:20), when he loads the "King's Cross" section preset, you can hear notes being dropped from the melody. It almost sounds as though note articulations are being choked-off.

Bubowski
Forum Full Member

Saturday, February 03 2018 @ 06:12 PM CST

Maybe a conflict between the legato samples and the auto-divisi? Maybe increasing the total number of voices available?

Graham Metcalfe - Information Architecture and Art Direction
Please visit my portfolio site at www.ghmetcalfe.com.

chikoppi
Forum Full Member

Saturday, February 03 2018 @ 06:22 PM CST

Ok. I think I've cracked it.

In the extended instrument parameters (toggle the arrow at the bottom-left of the instrument window to view) is a checkbox for "legato transitions." This is checked by default.

"Legato Transitions checkbox: Turn on to enable legato transition samples for both monophonic and polyphonic modes, enhancing the realism of instruments played in a legato style."

These are useful with solo instruments, as they allow the tail-end of a note to have a different articulation than the sustained note. An example would be a cello bow that drops into a slide at the end or that glides into the next note, like a slur on the fret board.

However, the legato transitions don't play nice with chords, which read successive notes between two chords as a transition rather than two separate notes. Turning OFF legato transitions and turning ON "allow unison" seems to produce the best-sounding and consistent results.