Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

Re:Mixing Acoustic Guitar
Tuesday, October 30 2018 @ 02:33 PM CDT

It's funny that you would say that "you're not too familiar with busses" because really that's where Logic (and, every DAW) starts to come alive – when you step beyond the presets.

When you "pick another canned instrument and drop it into your project's track-list," and then "without a second thought, delete it and drop in another," you might not realize what's actually happening unless you look at the Mixer panel, which Logic frankly does not encourage you to do.   (And with good reason.)   But if you do look there, you will see that Logic has made substantial and self-contained changes (thus, highly redundant and computationally wasteful) to the signal-processing flow.   Each set of changes is engineered so that you can “without a second thought, delete it and drop in another.”

In almost every case, Logic has inserted a preset list of filters into the primary processing chain, and has allocated one-or-more busses to send the signal out to side-chain processing, each with its own entirely-separate set of filters and settings-goodies, all of which then contribute to the final sound that you hear.   (Temporarily turning off those side-chain sends can be very instructive.)

(Yes, the professionals who set up those presets were geniuses ...)

Eventually your project needs to advance to the point where you focus on the mixing panel, mindful that your changes are now things that would be broken if you tried to drop-and-add tracks.   Taking the lead from what Logic has shown you, whether from the presets that you are now using or other ones, you need to take the bull by the horns yourself.

First, using the mixer, you first need to listen to that audio capture "completely un-adorned." Turn off the filters, shut off the cool side-chain stuff, listen exactly to the track and view it with the frequency analyzer.   Only then will you know – and, most importantly, see – what you actually have to work with.

As you disable the various goodies that you see that Logic has added, carefully observe what they are, because the odds are very good that you will want to turn them back on and to tweak them.   There are plenty of good ideas there, waiting to be adjusted.
Philip18
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, November 06 2018 @ 05:23 AM CST

I like the Logic Pro settings: Library - Legacy - Logic - 03 Acoustic guitar - Warm acoustic plate.

Quote by: jgurner
Need some help with mixing acoustic guitar in Logic. The acoustic comes out very "tinny" sounding. I've tried the few different things I know to do, which is basically just playing with the preset EQ settings.

My recording set-up isn't ideal and, unfortunately, it's probably not going to change in the foreseeable future. I'm recording my relatively cheap acoustic through my vocal mic (which is pretty decent), so maybe there's nothing really I can do. But, hopefully there's a magic "make cheap acoustic guitars sound great" setting in Logic I just haven't found yet.

Any just basic advice about what plug-ins and settings to use would be a great help. I would love to record the acoustic more, but I need to get it to sound just a smidge better.

Philip
Ed Hannifin
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, November 07 2018 @ 12:27 PM CST

I think one key is: get as close to the sound you want through guitar choice, microphone choice, microphone placement, and gain staging (get the level as hot as possible without distortion), and once it's sounding pretty good, then the seasoning of EQ and compression can take it that extra step.

"We have to remember...when it's surrender that's called for, it's not surrender of your brains. It's surrender of your ego. It's a different thing." --Bruce Cockburn
Calchas
Forum Full Member

Thursday, November 08 2018 @ 11:22 AM CST

Quote by: Ed Hannifin
Another very Eagles-ish trick is to double the acoustic with a clean electric guitar, EQ'd and compressed to taste and blended with the acoustic to get either the warmth or the sparkle you're going for. The acoustic carries the tonal signature of the track, and the electric evens things out and fills in the tonal gaps.

Will try this on an acoustic piece I'm working on. Here's hopin'!

Thanks for the tip Ed.

Be well!

Calchas
Forum Full Member

Thursday, November 15 2018 @ 10:50 AM CST

Quote by: Ed Hannifin
Another very Eagles-ish trick is to double the acoustic with a clean electric guitar, EQ'd and compressed to taste and blended with the acoustic to get either the warmth or the sparkle you're going for. The acoustic carries the tonal signature of the track, and the electric evens things out and fills in the tonal gaps.

Ed,

I tried this trick on my latest:

https://www.macjams.com/song/84353

---I think it worked really well. Thanks again for the great tip man!

Be well friend!