Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
Parichayaka
Forum Full Member

Mixbus vs Logic Pro x for Summing
Monday, October 07 2019 @ 10:47 AM CDT

Did a quick test of summing 10 stems in Logic Pro x and Mixbus. There's a lot of informed opinions out there and I was curious to see whether I could even tell the difference.

Result (subjective of course):
• Logic sounded seemed to produce a slightly crowded and metallic mix. Felt uncomfortable in my AKG K701 at high volume (those headphones are quite forgiving, have lots of soundstage and very little bass).

• Mixbus produced a more organic sounding, warmer stereo file with the same amount of detail. No pressure (crowded frequencies) even at higher volume.

Currently on sale for $79 (instead of $299).
https://harrisonconsoles.lpages.co/mb-10-years-get-32c/
Have not tested to see if MixBus handles plugin effects differently, this little experiment was only about summing.

We'll do the same test on ProTools next and compare.
Daugrin
Forum Full Member

Re:Mixbus vs Logic Pro x for Summing
Monday, October 07 2019 @ 11:20 AM CDT

Thank you for posting up here. Some important questions for your taste test...
Did ya consider that everyone has different ears?
Did it occur that material in itunes gets a compression treatment beyond what the producer intended when "Red Book" is applied?
(Same material sounds better in flac format, one of several alternative media?)
This is a big can of worms that has been open here for many years. Your test is not valid unless the individual listener mixes the same source material? It becomes a complex issue really quickly. What sounds best and why?

Daug
Parichayaka
Forum Full Member

Monday, October 07 2019 @ 11:55 AM CDT

Thank you, Daugrin. That's why I limited the test to summing only, same uncompressed export in both DAWs.
Daugrin
Forum Full Member

Monday, October 07 2019 @ 01:57 PM CDT

Quote by: Parichayaka
Thank you, Daugrin. That's why I limited the test to summing only, same uncompressed export in both DAWs.

Exactly, you understand, the sum, in whatever DAW, is important but doesn’t matter until the color is added by flac or iTunes compression or whatever else is in the finish chain. The DAW is an instrument, like a saxophone. The sum is a target. Unfortunate there is not an easy explanation, the ears of the beholder hold the secret 😀!
rover101
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, October 08 2019 @ 02:19 PM CDT

Well, I've used Mixbus for mixing and summing for about a year now. Not only better sounding than Logic or DP, but the way it's set up, WAY faster. However, it can be a bit unstable, and as yet I can't seem to get it to record (Mojave, Apogee Quartet). Pretty much guarantee getting better mixes from the original files than exported stems.

Noli bastardi carborundum
Parichayaka
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, October 08 2019 @ 05:15 PM CDT

Quote by: rover101
Pretty much guarantee getting better mixes from the original files than exported stems.

Thanks Rover! Could you elaborate on that statement? Are you not bringing in stems into Mixbus but only record with Mixbus and then mix?

Btw. I've done a fair amount of research, and typically those who've used Mixbus review it more favorably than those who haven't - which, along with your endorsement, is a good sign.
grah3am
Forum Regular Poster

Tuesday, October 08 2019 @ 06:46 PM CDT

I have used Mixbus for mixing and mastering for three or four years now (time flies). It just sounds better.

I gave up on tracking with Mixbus as it was quicker and easier to do it in Garageband and then mix the aiff files in Mixbus. Plus GB has lots of synths and drums that Mixbus lacks.

Everyone I have introduced to Mixbus loves it and now uses it to mix, and often master their recordings.

"You read him his rights while I shave his legs."
rover101
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, October 09 2019 @ 12:21 PM CDT

I import the original files from the relevant audio files folder (DP)

rover101
Forum Full Member

Thursday, October 10 2019 @ 11:51 AM CDT

Should also add, for those that don't know, Mixbus is a collaboration between Harrison Consoles and Yamaha to model Harrison's high-end mixing boards, complete with (really nice) eq, compression, limiting, levelling and tape simulation. Runs VSTs and AUs in the same way other DAWs do.

Parichayaka
Forum Full Member

Thursday, October 10 2019 @ 02:03 PM CDT

Quote by: rover101
Should also add, for those that don't know, Mixbus is a collaboration between Harrison Consoles and Yamaha to model Harrison's high-end mixing boards, complete with (really nice) eq, compression, limiting, levelling and tape simulation. Runs VSTs and AUs in the same way other DAWs do.

Thanks for adding that info, Rover.

I've been told that if you don't have enough skill (or time) to add certain basic effects like saturation, compression etc., Mixbus can quickly add a more analog, or 'natural' sound to your mix by just running the stems through it.

I've also read that some people mentioned that they have to add fewer plugins to get the sound they want than in other DAWs.

Or, as Nahum kindly pointed out to me, use a plugin like Waves' NLS in any DAW to get a more analog sound. Requires a little more time and skill, but allows you to tweak the effect.