Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
bud
Forum Full Member

Dead & Company
Tuesday, July 17 2018 @ 07:21 PM CDT

This link may be brought down soon by the rightful owner of this broadcast. Meanwhile - here's the closer of the summer tour. It's not the Dead, but these remaining players and some young talent are dedicated to the music and the spirit.

It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done.
Daugrin
Forum Full Member

Re:Dead & Company
Wednesday, July 18 2018 @ 12:15 AM CDT

They do a great job here making the changes, it don't sizzle without Jerry but if you forgive me, the missing piece is Phil Lesh.
Does this band generate the experience of the original band? For me, naw. Not even close to the original vibe. Audiences continue to pony up though...
Weir has posted a video where he says he's dreamed someone else is gonna play rhythm guitar in the band. He expects that the business model will hold with Mayer at the helm.
It will be interesting to see if his dream is gonna meet reality.
bud
Forum Full Member

Thursday, July 19 2018 @ 02:45 PM CDT

You are right about Phil's importance to the band and noted absence from Dead & Co. From what I've been reading we'll never see Kreutzman and Lesh on stage together again. A personal dispute over an offense I won't go into here.
I have no doubt that there will be an audience for an ongoing lineage of the band, as already evidenced by the popularity of Joe Russo's Almost Dead, and The Dark Star Orchestra.

Daugrin
Forum Full Member

Thursday, July 19 2018 @ 06:01 PM CDT

The ideal Dead band, in terms of the pieces still available, is not going to play again.
The people that had taped Dead shows have opened up the vaults and posted many great concert events from the now distant past.
You can never experience the original live, but Bud and I have posted many leads on these late appearing tapes. Search them out. After listening to 5 or so Dark Stars it is possible to appreciate how creative the guys were live and without a net. Nothing like it in todays world.

Daug

bud
Forum Full Member

Thursday, July 19 2018 @ 08:13 PM CDT

Absolutely cruise the vault as more and more shows are released all the time. True that the original experience will not be repeated, but the river keeps flowing with kids that dig the music. This is my current favorite #deadcoversproject Grateful Shred. They're not taking themselves or the music too seriously.