Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
Daugrin
Forum Full Member

Bob Weir Muses on your Ears
Friday, March 16 2018 @ 09:19 AM CDT

Bob Weir touches on major issues in modern music in an interview format. Mr. Keen is so bold to accuse Weir of causing some of the worst aspects of the decline in music quality.

How will musicians monetize their work on the internet? Weir's actions include building a studio to sell broadcasts of live players from the studio. Pay for play from a safe place essentially. Many of these broadcasts are available for free on youtube. Weir thinks folks will pay for really special groupings of players. We'll see.

Daug
bud
Forum Full Member

Re:Bob Weir Muses on your Ears
Friday, March 16 2018 @ 07:35 PM CDT

Unfortunately this got out at 480p instead of the original 720, but it's the playing and the relaxed, intimate format that makes this special. Perhaps an experiment like Bob's could be packaged in subscription form as opposed to pay per view. I suggest dropping in at 15:25 after the boys have found their groove.

It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done.

Daugrin
Forum Full Member

Re:Bob Weir Muses on your Ears
Friday, March 16 2018 @ 09:46 PM CDT

Imagine your suggestion of a "Weir Studios" subscription service Bud.

Dare we dream of variety program(s), ala the Sullivan, Cash or Smothers Bros shows, bent to the alternative entertainment experience, in other words, outside corporate control, acts presented by Weir's service every Friday at primetime? On our dream service there could be independent drama companies, comedians and poets with recurring offerings. Heady stuff?

Imho, a rebirth of relative independence for performers and producers on the internet platform outside corporate control would shake television and Hollywood to its core. I would suggest corporate America is working behind the scenes to stop Weir already, our dream is too threatening to their empires, to let Weir even get started is too dangerous.

The problem for a mass Bob Weir internet platform will be demographics. The people who will have to support the dream aspects as well as Weir's original vision will be women between the ages of say 15 and 55.

Many Deadheads in that group? This demo drove every innovation in american mass entertainment with the possible exception of video games. They have to be on board for any plan to work for the mass audience.

Bob Weir will settle for playing in the studio a few times a month with friends. There might be efforts to break female talents. But I would expect Primus, Derek Trucks, Warren Haynes type outfits or John Mayer live studio shows for a cultish internet audience to be be the extent of the fare. I like our dream scenario way better!

Daug