Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
Daugrin
Forum Full Member

Four Chord Chorus Cliche
Tuesday, July 31 2018 @ 10:41 PM CDT

Anyone wanna guess when the four chord chorus cliche first dominated pop music?
1978-79, noted release- Michael Jackson's "Off the Wall" LP? Crazy talk right?
At one time the consumers of popular music demanded variety, innovation and technical skill.
Rick proves no genre broadly presents these qualities today? Might we suggest something like "approved content" to explain the above? There has to be a rational for what Rick has presented here? No, coincidence explains it all away?
What secret knowledge does A&R and the management/producers of the BIG recording companies have about the
consumers of pop music?

Daug
MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

Pachelbel Rant
Wednesday, August 01 2018 @ 07:35 AM CDT

There aren't that many new musical ideas in this world.   One of the most universal ones was written about the year 1700 . . . and the Cello part really sucks.   Enjoy!

P.S.:   And now. for a bit of personal trivia.   The first(!) time that I ever heard Pachelbel’s Canon was at the close of a Simon & Garfunkel concert in Atlanta, in one of the earliest dates with my future wife (of 31(!) years and counting ... (woo hoo!) ... so, uhh, I suppose that she eventually forgave me).   I was so captivated by the song that I didn’t leave the bleachers until they had finally stopped playing it (and began to disassemble the sound board).   This was of course decades before you could simply “Google® It,” but I immediately made it my business to find out what song it was, and to buy a copy of the score.

MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

Re:Four Chord Chorus Cliche
Wednesday, August 01 2018 @ 07:51 AM CDT

Even more than “four chords,” today I would say that musical technology has become a cliché.   Some musicians have used filtering to creative effect, as Cher did in [Do You Believe In] Life After Love, but in way too many tracks now you hear the seemingly-obligatory squashed, buzzing vocal, and many acts seem to have made that a fundamental part of their sound.   Such that it is literally, by now, “nothing more than a tired old cliché.”   (Yawn.)   A musical trope.

Plus – “the drum-machine is back, with a vengeance.”   The sound is more complex today than it was in the 80’s, but the motivation (and, lack of musical imagination) is obviously the same.   (Yawn.)

One thing that could be said about many of the bands of the 1970’s, per contra, was that they knew a thing or three about orchestration and harmony.   But their products were obviously more expensive to produce.

Of course I know that songs these days are “engineered for MP3,” just as they used to be mixed to sound good on AM Radio car-speakers, but I just don’t like trolling through the “hundreds of channels” on my XM Radio as I’m driving down the road, and hearing “nothing but the same damned thing” except when I visit the “old phart retro” channels.   Given that “music can do anything that you dare to imagine,” where did the imagination go?   (How much more product might they sell, and how “everlasting” might these products be, if they did try just a little bit harder?)