Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
Daugrin
Forum Full Member

'75 Mind Transplant
Thursday, August 30 2018 @ 05:40 PM CDT

Alphonse Mouzon's 1975 "Mind Transplant" is a classic recording you never heard. This record changed everything. It is a companion, in my mind at least, to "Spectrum" by Billy Cobham. Both records feature unmatched drumming, tight composition and Tommy Bolin on guitar. You can you tube a link to "Spectrum" easily it is a far more well known product. Both these records have a jam feel. If you look hard you can also find out takes from the sessions from both recordings that just simmer. Why does't what you listen to normally sound like this?

Daug
VicDiesel
Forum Full Member

Re:'75 Mind Transplant
Thursday, August 30 2018 @ 09:01 PM CDT

This is really the best kind of jazz rock. Technically accomplished and solidly grooving. I've seen Billy Cobham only once live but I was heavily impressed at how effortless he makes that strong beat seem. Mouzon is, hm, not entirely there. It sounds more like work with him. That said, still great stuff.

Victor.

-- My CD.
bud
Forum Full Member

Friday, August 31 2018 @ 07:07 PM CDT

Indeed, this is a great record. This work with Larry Coryell first hipped me to his chops back in the day.

It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done.
MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, September 05 2018 @ 05:26 PM CDT

Alas, daugrin, even in 1975, most of what you had available to listen to ... did not sound like this.
Daugrin
Forum Full Member

Saturday, September 08 2018 @ 05:53 AM CDT

Another Tommy Bolin classic ya never heard. Very little in the mainstream, and nothing target consumers listen to, sounds like this either, but don't let that trouble ya... there are several more Bolin classic recordings not featured here yet out there, look for Spectrum, Moxie, and Bolin's solo records. Bolin replaced Joe Walsh in the James Gang and Richie Blackmore in Deep Purple imagine that... he died at 26 years old in Miami under suspicious circumstances six years after making this recording.

Daug

SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

Monday, September 10 2018 @ 06:04 PM CDT

Quote by: Daugrin

Alphonse Mouzon's 1975 "Mind Transplant" is a classic recording you never heard. This record changed everything. It is a companion, in my mind at least, to "Spectrum" by Billy Cobham. Both records feature unmatched drumming, tight composition and Tommy Bolin on guitar. You can you tube a link to "Spectrum" easily it is a far more well known product. Both these records have a jam feel. If you look hard you can also find out takes from the sessions from both recordings that just simmer. Why does't what you listen to normally sound like this?

Daug

WOW! i think i remember this. way back then, i used to hang out with some music literate friends, back when i was more interested in experience than knowledge. we were often mellowing out, listening to tunes, and in between Mahavishnu Orchestra, and Traffic, i swear i heard a lot of this album too. i never knew what it was until just now