Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
Calchas
Forum Full Member

Mj death...
Friday, January 18 2019 @ 10:54 AM CST

If we let this site die, what is left for us. There's nowhere else to go.

How about it people... let's get active. Post. Comment. Collab.

And above everything else, ignore the political forums that have contributed so much to this site's decline.

“Thou hast made us for thyself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in thee.” (St. Augustine)
MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

Re:Mj death
Friday, January 18 2019 @ 03:11 PM CST

Personally, I don’t think that this site ... which might(?) have as many as 84,000 songs in its song-catalog ... is actually dying.

The only thing that I miss is the “random song-picker” which used to be on the front page, giving a never-ending variety of exposure to the songs and the artists which are still featured within it.

The thing which brings me to MacJams is the same thing that brought me to it in the first place – musical content.   Unlike so many others, MJ doesn’t pander to musical hacks with delusions of grandeur just to pander to equally-gullible advertisers.   The music that I listen to around here ... although the absence of the random selector makes this much harder to do ... is still good.   And, I do not find it anywhere else.
SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

Friday, January 18 2019 @ 03:15 PM CST

it's not entirely Macjams, with its infrastructure crumbling at our feet and falling on our heads, it's also the people left here: hanging around, grumbling, complaining, but doing nothing, expecting everything

my advice to the young ones: move away. find another land of opportunity. the dream here is indeed dying, if not already dead

save yourself. do the smart thing. look around and make careful, informed choices

learn to speak another language
Calchas
Forum Full Member

Friday, January 18 2019 @ 03:37 PM CST

Quote by: MikeRobinson
Personally, I don’t think that this site ... which might(?) have as many as 84,000 songs in its song-catalog ... is actually dying.

The only thing that I miss is the “random song-picker” which used to be on the front page, giving a never-ending variety of exposure to the songs and the artists which are still featured within it.

The thing which brings me to MacJams is the same thing that brought me to it in the first place – musical content.   Unlike so many others, MJ doesn’t pander to musical hacks with delusions of grandeur just to pander to equally-gullible advertisers.   The music that I listen to around here ... although the absence of the random selector makes this much harder to do ... is still good.   And, I do not find it anywhere else.

The number of songs in the back catalogue doesn't seem to mean much when there's little activity. MacIdol is a case in point. A large number of tombstones in a cemetery is not a sign of life.

If we don't frequent the site to post, comment and collab we are as good as dead.

This used to be a happening place, not just a sonic museum or mausoleum.

If we want it to be happening again we have to begin again to do what made it happening in the first place.

If not, lights out is around the corner.

“Thou hast made us for thyself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in thee.” (St. Augustine)
MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

Friday, January 18 2019 @ 11:01 PM CST

I very simply don’t see it that way.   I still(!) come to this site to enjoy music that I cannot find anywhere else.
Calchas
Forum Full Member

Saturday, January 19 2019 @ 12:10 AM CST

I very simply don’t see it that way.   I still(!) come to this site to enjoy music that I cannot find anywhere else.

Were talking past each other my friend.

I'm speaking solely about the activity that this site was designed for. There's no comparison between what it is today
with what it was only a few years ago.

Calchas
Forum Full Member

I'm speaking solely about the activity that this site was designed for. There's no comparison between what it is today

Calchas
Forum Full Member

Calchas
Forum Full Member

Saturday, January 19 2019 @ 12:11 AM CST

Ooops... darn tablet...

alley-oop
Forum Full Member

Saturday, January 19 2019 @ 12:02 PM CST

Hey! Great post!
You speak to what used to be the heart and soul of MacJams: Participation. And all the great interactions and music that ensued.
When you started here, Mike, (me too), it was so very new,, wonderful and exotic. A world-wide digital community of like-minded musical people. The talent. The energy. I personally learned a tremendous amount about recording, being a better musician, a better songwriter and singer.
I feel the frustration you express, or did at one time.
Two things come to mind:
First, although so freaking fun, the MacJams business model was flawed. I think Simon and Miguel figured that out, but still loved their little creation, hence, it’s still here. Their target audience was musicians who were interested in recording with GarageBand (still great) software.
I love Mac computers, but you’ve reduced your potential audience to 10% with the name alone. Their thought was to create enough users to collect ad substantial revenue. But that didn’t work. At the best times, you had maybe a couple hundred daily active users. That’s not good for an ad revenue based business.

My second thought is personally, MacJams became too important to me and not in a good way. It became all-encompassing and my actual life suffered. To be successful here, unless one was an actual superstar, which I’m not, one had to really participate at a high level. That burned me out and I think it did to many.
I still dearly miss some people. But I had my moment in the sun, you did too.
I bailed on MacJams around 2014. I mourned the loss, sure. But I discovered I really don’t like sitting for hours with headphones on my head tweeting some track. What I love is playing and singing doing the occasional open mic. The ‘live’ part of music. I love playing at family get-togethers and playing with my brother or my friend Chad, MacJam artist Dr Bizarre. We might try to do some acoustic sets somewhere. And I’ve moved on and am happy and don’t miss being here.
I think you’re wanting something that will never exist again. But you were in the scene when this place was smokin’ Cherish that part. And accept that MacJams is a nice spot, some good amateur music. Be happy it’s not gone.