Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
IbotenicParadigm
Forum Chatty

R.I.P. Mark Hollis
Tuesday, February 26 2019 @ 07:24 PM CST

Lead singer and songwriter for Talk Talk, age 64.
A giant.

IP
bud
Forum Full Member

Re:R.I.P. Mark Hollis
Tuesday, February 26 2019 @ 08:45 PM CST

That's really sad. I'm a fan.

it's all too much
jgurner
Forum Full Member

Saturday, March 02 2019 @ 09:50 AM CST

I was a Talk Talk "fan" in that I had their '84 album It's My Life and really liked it, but never really listened to much else by them. In the past few days I've listed to a couple of their other albums. I still think they do 80s pop as good as anyone else, but Spirit of Eden is a brilliant work that seems ahead of its time in a lot of ways. The irony is, if I'd actually listened to it at the time, I probably would have been disappointed since it sounded nothing like their earlier work.

IbotenicParadigm
Forum Chatty

Sunday, March 03 2019 @ 01:24 PM CST

Quote by: jgurner
The irony is, if I'd actually listened to it at the time, I probably would have been disappointed since it sounded nothing like their earlier work.

I know exactly what you mean. Laughing Stock was the first album of theirs I ever heard, and I was immediately on board. When I went back and listened to their synth pop stuff, I strained my ears trying to find foreshadowing of their later work!

I think he was a good guy: he spared no expense on those last few albums, earned next to nothing from them, and then retired from music to raise his kids.