Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

Hey
Thursday, May 30 2019 @ 09:03 PM CDT

Warren Smith
Forum Full Member

Re:Hey
Saturday, June 01 2019 @ 05:42 PM CDT

Such a brutal song. What is the date on this recording?
SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

Sunday, June 02 2019 @ 08:32 AM CDT

Quote by: Warren Smith
Such a brutal song. What is the date on this recording?

i think it was 1965, but it sounds older than that
J.A.Stewart
Forum Full Member

Sunday, June 02 2019 @ 11:51 AM CDT

The song was copyrighted in 1962 and there is an interesting sidebar story about how Roberts performed it at an entertainment event at San Quentin Penitentiary on New Year's Day 1965 that featured Louis Armstrong, Sarah Vaughn and Johnny Cash. "Likely" in the audience at that performance was Chet Powers (aka Dino Valenti, Dino Valente and Jesse Orris Farrow), another Singer-Songwriter, serving a sentence on a drug charge.

Later in 1965, a friend alerted Roberts to the fact that "Hey Joe" had been recorded and released by a SoCal rock band, The Leaves and that "Dino Valenti" had claimed authorship of the song and signed a publishing deal on that basis.

Legal negotiations returned authorship rights to Roberts, but did not prevent release of several other recordings of the song that named several other songwriters, including Dino Valenti, as the author.

While Chet Powers' stage name Dino Valenti and his songwriting name Jesse Orris Farrow may not ring a bell, he was one of the lead vocalists in Quicksilver Messenger Service and wrote the Youngbloods 1967 anthemic Peace & Love song, Get Together.

MY LATEST: A demo version of my Work-In-Progress DAILY GRIND

Warren Smith
Forum Full Member

Sunday, June 02 2019 @ 04:21 PM CDT

Quote by: J.A.Stewart
... he was one of the lead vocalists in Quicksilver Messenger Service

Hmmm .. then I actually might have seen him perform at the Fillmore West in San Francisco in the summer of 1968.

Thanks for the interesting backstory on this.