Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
CIPHER
Forum Full Member

Re:Favorite Electric Bass Players
Tuesday, February 21 2006 @ 08:20 AM CST

Ryan Martinie (Mudvayne). This guy is crazy.
Vic Wooten
Steve Digiorgio
Muzz Skillins (ex-Living Color)
Justin Chancellor (Tool)
Mr.Claypool
Gary Lee Weinrib
Sid Barrett
Sting
The guy with the hook

KDub
pbassjams
Forum Newbie

Friday, March 10 2006 @ 10:36 AM CST

Billy Sheehan

yeah, definitely Ryan Martinie

Finally someone in the modern/pop music field that's doing more than root of the chord Twisted Evil
neckbones
Forum Junior

Friday, March 10 2006 @ 11:55 PM CST

not one person mentioned Sid Viscous..Hmmm, whats wrong with everyone.

of course Sid Bows before the bass god that is Les Claypool.

p.s. the sid thing was a joke...

from the bowels of Detroit...
urbnite
Forum Full Member

Saturday, March 11 2006 @ 03:20 AM CST

Paul Simon's bass solo in 'Call Me Al' is sweet, and i think it's actually him - he plays 6 string bass on that song.

Don't make fun of me - I love the whole album, not just the 80s hit!

Oh, and Chuck Bartels, who was rocking out tonight at the Buzz Bar in Detroit... that man was amazing!
jmt
Forum Full Member

Saturday, March 11 2006 @ 05:29 AM CST

Quote by: urbnite
Paul Simon's bass solo in 'Call Me Al' is sweet, and i think it's actually him - he plays 6 string bass on that song.

I saw a documentary on "Graceland" a few years back, with Paul Simon at the mixing board. The solo was played by Baghiti Khumalo, but only half of it... The second half was actually the first half "reversed". The engineering/production is well done enough that it's hard to recognize it as backwards, but if you listen closely you can hear it. Excellent line though! The bass on that whole album is awesome. Smile
rover101
Forum Full Member

Sunday, March 12 2006 @ 01:10 AM CST

Quote by: neckbones
not one person mentioned Sid Viscous..Hmmm, whats wrong with everyone.

of course Sid Bows before the bass god that is Les Claypool.

p.s. the sid thing was a joke...

I dunno about that - Sid's musicality was so trashed by the movie that we probably can't evaluate him correctly. Hell, the Pistols sounded great, and he had a lot to do with it.
Someone else no-one's mentioned; Jerry Clarke

And another; Fred Larose

And another; Albert Blaine ('course, you probably have to live in Alberta to know them)
Cheers, Shaky

Noli bastardi carborundum
eltopo
Forum Full Member

Sunday, March 12 2006 @ 06:14 AM CST

In the John Savage book England Dreaming, it says that when Sid took over his amp was often turned off at gigs, because he literally could barely play. The later recordings didn't include Sid either - Glen Matlock and Steve Jones played the parts.

They certainly put some era-defining music to record, however they did it.

The Sex Pistols culturally are a paradox. On one hand they inspired kids to take up instruments and just go for it (good thing) and on the other they created the 'talentless hype-band with the right look' concept, which still dogs the music scene today.

I want to add Jasper from Citizen Fish as a favourite bassist - great melodic parts, cool dubby parts, just a great fun bassist.

I'd rather be listening to Revolving Doris's new EP.
quarkhead
Forum Junior

Tuesday, March 14 2006 @ 07:13 PM CST

Quote by: jmt

I saw a documentary on "Graceland" a few years back, with Paul Simon at the mixing board. The solo was played by Baghiti Khumalo, but only half of it... The second half was actually the first half "reversed". The engineering/production is well done enough that it's hard to recognize it as backwards, but if you listen closely you can hear it. Excellent line though! The bass on that whole album is awesome. Smile

Aw, shucks - I thought I might get to be the first one to include the mighty Khumalo on this list, he certainly deserves it. I would also like to include the Habib Faye, the bass player for Youssou N'Dour's band, Super Etoile de Dakar. Fantastic stuff.

Victor Wooten, of course, is a technical master. Pino, Jaco, Stanley, there's a lot of good players out there, past and present.

My favorite Khumalo part is his playing on "Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes," which is, at least to me, an example of a practically perfect song. The best bass lines are the ones that fit in the pocket like it was born there, and put a grin on your face - not the technical flash of five-fingered plucking arpeggios on a 25-string bass. In my opinion, anyway.
urbnite
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, March 14 2006 @ 10:09 PM CST

Quote by: quarkhead
Quote by: jmt

Aw, shucks - I thought I might get to be the first one to include the mighty Khumalo on this list, he certainly deserves it. I would also like to include the Habib Faye, the bass player for Youssou N'Dour's band, Super Etoile de Dakar. Fantastic stuff.

Victor Wooten, of course, is a technical master. Pino, Jaco, Stanley, there's a lot of good players out there, past and present.

My favorite Khumalo part is his playing on "Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes," which is, at least to me, an example of a practically perfect song. The best bass lines are the ones that fit in the pocket like it was born there, and put a grin on your face - not the technical flash of five-fingered plucking arpeggios on a 25-string bass. In my opinion, anyway.

"Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes" is definitely a perfect song. LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

Actually... yeah a friend told me the other day about that bass line being flipped around like that. I didn't even believe it, although I should've - he's an audio engineer.

Yeah - the bass on that album is AMAZING.

Drew Kopr
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, March 15 2006 @ 12:26 PM CST

Not sure if these guys were mentioned: Flea, bassist for U2 (can't remember his name), bassist for Audioslave, Phil Lesh, Reggie Hamilton, victor bailey, bassist for coldplay, richard bona (one of the best bassists in our time without a doubt), meshell ndegeo (pretty good), original bassist for tower of power. And, I'm suprised only Data Funk mentioned me in this list. What the hell is wrong with you people?