Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
pianoman1
Forum Full Member

Re:LIOLI#5 ENTRIES
Friday, July 06 2007 @ 06:20 PM CDT

Quote by: Kren
Quote by: bud

was adopted by the administration and then seemingly dropped.

only to find that there are no official results posted.

but let's not invite the outside community to participate in a group activity and then drop the ball.
who won the promised prizes

My Sentiments exactly .
ANd thankyou Bud for posting the songs, if you didn't, it would have faded away completely.
If they can't follow through they shouldn't have taken it on.
Shame on them.

I resemble that remark.

Must try harder
Magritte
Forum Full Member

Friday, July 06 2007 @ 06:31 PM CDT

I'm sorry to see that what was once a vital grassroots experiment (on average 25 submissions) was adopted by the administration and then seemingly dropped.

I'm a little confused. Are you saying this LIOLI "withered" because of the new format, i.e. a lack of participation by the administration was the reason for your perception of a small turnout?

If that's the case I can't comment because I don't know what the admins were supposed to do. But if you're simply upset at the "low" turnout, I would say a couple of things. First, I don't think 15 entries is a bad turnout AT ALL. Were your expectations a little high, maybe? Honestly I thought that was a good amount of people playing.

However, if you are perturbed by the lower number of entries this time around, I'd suggest a few reasons. First and truly foremost...people around here have a lot going on in their lives. Things pick up and slow down and these events can go from foremost in our minds to something we just don't have time for. That's perfectly normal.

Also there's the issue of music outside MacJams. I have not been moved to work on any music lately after I had a recent disappointing experience with a song I wrote (which is not on MacJams). I'm sure others also go in creative cycles.

Finally, there is the possibility that people were burned out after the first few LIOLIs. Maybe they will come back to it and maybe not, but if the challenges keep running, new members or people who have never joined may be moved to join and it will continue as a low-key "grass-roots" type of thing even if the admins are running it.

That's how I see it all, anyway. Feel free to disagree with everything.
peacepiano
Forum Full Member

Sunday, July 08 2007 @ 03:05 PM CDT

Bounce

In response to Greg D's question in the "New LOILI Chellenge" thread (spelling that really hurt)
bud
Forum Full Member

Monday, July 09 2007 @ 01:46 AM CDT

Quote by: Magritte
I'm sorry to see that what was once a vital grassroots experiment (on average 25 submissions) was adopted by the administration and then seemingly dropped.

I'm a little confused. Are you saying this LIOLI "withered" because of the new format, i.e. a lack of participation by the administration was the reason for your perception of a small turnout?

If that's the case I can't comment because I don't know what the admins were supposed to do. But if you're simply upset at the "low" turnout, I would say a couple of things. First, I don't think 15 entries is a bad turnout AT ALL. Were your expectations a little high, maybe? Honestly I thought that was a good amount of people playing.

However, if you are perturbed by the lower number of entries this time around, I'd suggest a few reasons. First and truly foremost...people around here have a lot going on in their lives. Things pick up and slow down and these events can go from foremost in our minds to something we just don't have time for. That's perfectly normal.

Also there's the issue of music outside MacJams. I have not been moved to work on any music lately after I had a recent disappointing experience with a song I wrote (which is not on MacJams). I'm sure others also go in creative cycles.

Finally, there is the possibility that people were burned out after the first few LIOLIs. Maybe they will come back to it and maybe not, but if the challenges keep running, new members or people who have never joined may be moved to join and it will continue as a low-key "grass-roots" type of thing even if the admins are running it.

That's how I see it all, anyway. Feel free to disagree with everything.

I agree that 15 entries is not such a bad turnout. Coming so quickly on the heels of the last one I didn't expect much more. I also stated in my post that perhaps it should be a bi- monthly event (or quarterly - as it had occurred naturally). What upset me was the admins eagerness to put this in place as an official and sponsored event, then doing nothing to follow up. There are still no "official results". I don't wish to appear rabid about the challenge. I enjoyed the opportunity to host it, and it enriched my relationship with the community. I was looking forward to passing that opportunity on to another member (as Brian had done with me), and felt that this kind of shared responsibility was a perfect model for a self sustaining activity. That chance was usurped without discussion. That's why I'm perturbed.

it's all too much

Dj French Toast
Forum Full Member

Monday, July 09 2007 @ 10:49 AM CDT

Indeed Bud . I was very excited to see this challenge grow and expand .Im confused as to why its been almost half a month after the deadline and no fan fair . Its lost its new love feel to me . I dont even understand why , and Im not sure if its a Beehive ball drop or Simon and Miguel ball drop , no admin has posted here with a reason . As you stated Bud Im sure there are more pressing issues . I do appritiate the fact that for the most part it seems the spam has been kicked in the arse . Im just puzzled as to why there has been no .......sorry for the delay.....type response . I fell in love with a cool challenge and it seems in vain . Like you were saying Bud If its become a hassle to the S/M maybe we should keep it within the community to post the songs . I dont know just my humble thoughts and concerns .