Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
mr_mordenus
Forum Full Member

Doug Somers magic
Thursday, December 21 2017 @ 05:35 PM CST

You all know Doug Somers' gift for cinematic music magic. Well, Doug has been quietly scoring a project called Western Space Odyssey that we've been working on in our spare time ever since MacJams City ended. Hopefully it all comes to completion in 2018, but I thought 2017 was going to be the big day too. Oh well. It's a labour of love and we get there, resolutely if not quickly.

The interesting thing here is that this entire sequence is not part of the story - it isn't even in the script. It tells the story of how one of the characters joins the Western Starfleet, and does so entirely through music. No dialogue. Virtually no sound effects. And it all came about when Doug joked that he was going to write a 'love theme' for Western Space Odyssey. I replied that if he did, I'd write and animate a scene to go with it. And well... one thing led to another. Creativity is a crazy, wonderful and unpredictable thing.

Just wanted to show off some of what Doug's magic can inspire. His talent simply leaves me without words, and I really hope I can get this project done before Hollywood discovers the guy and I can't bribe him with slices of pie anymore.

And yes - the Flying Robot Orchestra is the same one from MacJams City. Because I'm a sucker for a cultural reference only about seven people in the world will get.

Les_Kloo
Forum Full Member

Re:Doug Somers magic
Friday, December 22 2017 @ 10:40 AM CST

Doug Somers always brings the magic.

My music is much better than it sounds.
Skean
Forum Full Member

Friday, December 22 2017 @ 03:56 PM CST

Amazingly good, guys.

I Almost Always Try to Think Positive Thoughts.
Doug Somers
Forum Full Member

Sunday, December 24 2017 @ 02:17 PM CST

Well, here I was on Christmas eve and I open a new window on Safari and it presents a series of panels for favourite websites. MacJams was there and I thought "I wonder what's been going on since I last poked around a LONG long time ago?" And I see this Forum post with my name on it, and.... here I am, humbled.

Rik asked me a long while back if I'd be interested in scoring his new movie and I jumped on it in a second since his MJ City was so inspired and was straight from the heart to the screen. If you liked MJ City you will almost certainly like the Western Space Odyssey. If you like the kind of humour which combines satire with lots of cultural references and sometimes minuscule details that can each be their own visual jokes then this will be a film for you.

I'm really glad that Rik has decided to release Phasers and Flowers as a short since it shows off his more developed animation style where the latest tools allow him to tackle ideas not easily brought to life previously. Also, it lets people know that this new ambitious WSO project is really in development, even if the result will be a ways off still. Lastly it also features some of the other talented musicians that Rik is assembling into his cast who deserve to be heard.

Rik, always the gentleman, is very kind with his words (a common trait found around this site BTW) and I'd just like to say that he is a pleasure to work with as a director, he has just as crazy a sense of humour shared by the rest of the cast, and his inspired visual storytelling seems to draw the musical score from the ether when my fingers hit the keyboard. So there you have it. If I haven't posted here in a while you now know partially why. (As one wag once said, 90 minutes of new music doesn't write itself, y'know!)

As to WSO's release date, stay tuned....

Doug Somers
Forum Full Member

Sunday, December 24 2017 @ 04:57 PM CST

And many thanks Les_K and Skean for your supportive words too!
DWL
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, December 26 2017 @ 03:34 PM CST

One of my faves !

Hanging in with the out crowd (All rights reserved)
Bowman
Forum Full Member

Friday, December 29 2017 @ 04:52 PM CST

You hit all the right notes Doug. Lovely melody (classy and romantic). You're roaming into Max Steiner territory here and it doesn't get better than that. Also loved the cinematic range you exhibit here. The transitions are agile and the orchestrations colorful. I really love the sincerity of the whole piece.

Kudos to Rik and the whole team on creating and producing such a fun and well made film. I look forward to seeing and hearing the complete project.
Cheers,
Charlie
Doug Somers
Forum Full Member

Monday, January 01 2018 @ 08:23 PM CST

Thanks for the kind words Dick and Charlie. Happy New Year!!

Warren Smith
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, January 10 2018 @ 09:04 AM CST

I hope the next episode has a happier ending : )