Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

Albums
Wednesday, March 14 2018 @ 06:05 PM CDT

just curious... has anyone ever listened through an entire "album" of my stuff?

https://macjams.com/artist/SmokeyVW#albums
Daugrin
Forum Full Member

Re:Albums
Friday, March 16 2018 @ 10:03 AM CDT

I have listened Bill. The work you do is inspiring. In popular culture one is only as good as the latest post, this is wired into consumers by the business model.
The Kool Kids will listen if ya support their world view. Compromise, just a suggestion, and they will come.
Dopamine and the internet might be the most important area of consumer research going. Keep working Chief.

Daug
SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

Friday, March 16 2018 @ 02:06 PM CDT

i'm afraid the world has left the concept of albums behind... an undivided hour of time does not exist in the minds of the young'uns
Daugrin
Forum Full Member

Friday, March 16 2018 @ 05:15 PM CDT

There are studies that dictate that ten seconds is the first threshold for acceptance of a popular music product. Famously ten seconds is all A&R types invest in prospective new music. The first ten seconds is hypercritical to the modern attention.
Remarkably, it is also at this ten second mark where women report they would resolve the decision process to accept a stranger for potential romance on a blind date.
If I can continue, the next point of divergence is at 40 seconds. That's not a lot of time to build an audience!
If an experience prevails against attention deficit beyond 40 seconds there is a chance of getting feedback from the consumer. Sadly, it is suggested by research, this first feedback loop rarely proves positive for material by a unrecognized brand. So Madonna has feedback at this point. The new band has little or no chance for feedback. The consumer is more likely to abandon a novel musical experience at 40 seconds and deny feedback.
Put a stopwatch on our favorite pop composition. Evaluate the first ten seconds. Likewise the first forty. What happens? How many times do you hear a hook or the chorus in the material overall?
In popular music after 40 seconds it is all hooks and chorus, the second verse augmentation, bridge or middle eight rarely appear, the use of the pre-chorus has supplanted these tools. It is all in brutal machine 4/4 meter, like the beat in a factory, between 120 and 140 bpm.
I feel sorry for modern ears. Mahler is not my favorite composer but he is doomed with the modern audience. His work takes too long to develop. Likewise Charlie Parker and Coltrane, it takes most jazz outfits 40 seconds to establish the tonal center of a tune, this will never work for the modern.
Btw, they accept the MP3 sound as the standard. They are baffled by the fidelity of vinyl.
What has been done to the youth? What they are peddled; anti-social raps, body commercials, songs about beautiful dystopia, laziness and or depravity? No more Ives, Zappa, Haggard, Grateful Dead or Pink Floyd(s), spiritual music is allowed in the mainstream only by exception.
Watch a young person experience something like Pink Floyd's "Echoes" on one of those youtube listening sessions. They grow confused and flag, as if sound is not an experience in-and-of-itself without the mandatory social reinforcement essential to their listening.
They are an ugly audience. They expect vacant ugly music which embraces their social expectations, and will not suffer any foolin' with the formula.

Daug

chikoppi
Forum Full Member

Friday, March 16 2018 @ 06:13 PM CDT

“Ya, that idea is dildos.” Skwisgaar Skwigelf
GET SONG FEEDBACK --> MacJams Critics Circles