Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
penguinsocks
Forum Full Member

Re:Instrumental Songs
Wednesday, December 22 2004 @ 11:26 PM CST

we're getting into touchy territory here

"pengy" :: thirteen cent pinball
Impassible
Forum Junior

Thursday, December 23 2004 @ 12:43 AM CST

cjorgensen-

sure lyrics can be nice, clever, funny.. whatever you want.
but so can the music.

I think the best thing about music is expressing yourself without words. No matter what language someone speaks, they can read you through the music... with OR without words.

I don't increase my scores for people who sung simply because they sung... wether they sung or not has nothing to do with effort. I have songs with lyrics, but I don't sing them... its not because I'm lazy, its because I'm not a singer. I did however make the MacInTalk voices sing for me in a couple of my songs... which is practicaly 'playing' an instrument and fine tuning it. Which requires more effort? Even if I used an actual instrument instead of vocals, whats the difference? It's sound, it's work, and it either sounds good or it doesn't.

If you are referring to just apple loops.. and saying that 'anyone' can throw loops together and make something that sounds decent... well of course they can, that's what Garageband is all about... The people who use pure Apple loops to make t heir songs, obviously are taking the time to do it and share it with everyone, so they ARE into creating music.. I think they just need some encouragement and inspiration to help get them started with their own unique sounds.

I do agree that hearing the same loops being used over and over again can get a bit boring/repetative... If they're new, perhaps you should rate how *well* the loops were put together to form a song. I think most of us here who have played with garageband a little can recognize an Apple Loop when we hear it. Rating their song IMHO isn't as important as leaving a comment on their work, with some honest critisizm/feedback. If they get suggestions instead of just a # telling them how good or bad people think they are, they can choose to try and improve.
penguinsocks
Forum Full Member

Thursday, December 23 2004 @ 12:53 AM CST

some great, true, and important comments, Impassible. agreein' with ya here.

in this thread we have the threads about loops vs creativity, and anything on rating/commenting. so this is a pretty all-encompassing topic.

cjorgensen
Forum Full Member

Thursday, December 23 2004 @ 07:50 AM CST

My post wasn't an attack against instrumental music, nor was I trying to say songs with lyrics are inherently superior to ones without. What I am saying is that on this site, the songs with vocals seem more fully developed. I won't deny that there are some well produced instrumental tracks, but I do stand by my assertion that a lot of the songs sans vox seem thrown together, aren't as interesting, and sound too much like so many of the others on here.

I will grant you some of the vocal tracks are stinkers too. I don't think I was reserving that distinction for instrumentals alone.

A Bloody Dark Pastryman http://www.christopher.jorgensen.name
Del
Forum Junior

Thursday, December 23 2004 @ 11:25 PM CST

I agree with your assessment about how many songs seems to be posted before they are polished, or, perhaps more precise, before they have been truly thought through, which is a shame, since many people have great ears and good ideas. I agree that crafting lyrics adds an additional reason to craft a song, and that many songs with lyrics seem to be better thought out and have more interesting and unique musical styles than those without lyrics. Not a slam against instrumentals, many of which are top notch - and obviously have been thought through and crafted. Just a general observation.

I, for one, truly enjoy lyrics. And enjoy especially when the music aids lyrics conceptually. I am more apt to be sympathetic to a "good try" when rating a song with lyrics, more apt to give an extra point for good lyric texts even if the music is subpar. Again, in general.
ilkers
Forum Junior

Friday, December 24 2004 @ 05:10 AM CST

I think it's all about design. And trying to understand what that person has tried to express with his/her song with or without lyrics. We cant call a song without lyrics half developed, or just because it's short. I respect everyone's designs and find it enjoyable to try to discover the meaning in a song.

A person may even use a pill bottle and beer cans to make something. There is no definition to what a song has to have to be a song. I like the diversity in this community. ıt's good, if u dont like a song, just try another one. We're all here because we like to compose.
bendan
Forum Junior

Friday, December 24 2004 @ 08:47 AM CST

I don't respond that well to instrumentals on this site, but then again I am a big Ventures fan. So perhaps I need to be more open about it. I guess It is easier to determine quickly how I feel about a song when I hear vocals. All of my songs have lyrics but I don't like posting them. I have gotten comments requesting them but I would rather people listen to them than read them. That is my take. —Brendan
TennesseeVic
Forum Full Member

Friday, December 24 2004 @ 09:41 AM CST

Quote by: bendan
I don't respond that well to instrumentals on this site,

We balance each other out then. I find vocal melodies a lot more boring on average than instrumental ones.

V.
penguinsocks
Forum Full Member

Friday, December 24 2004 @ 03:12 PM CST

Quote by: ilkers
A person may even use a pill bottle and beer cans to make something. There is no definition to what a song has to have to be a song.

yep. for instance, gudkarma and his airfreshener song. (love it!) or on sunday, my friend adam.. after singing about the mosquito on the bottle, i said read the ingredients! ..well there weren't any.. but he improvised and sang about how there weren't any ingredients. funnnny stuff.

Quote by: ilkers
We're all here because we like to compose.

damn straight. what a wonderful thing!

qthrul
Forum Newbie

Friday, December 24 2004 @ 07:43 PM CST

Quote by: cjorgensen

I will grant you some of the vocal tracks are stinkers too. I don't think I was reserving that distinction for instrumentals alone.

I don't have a single "composition" on this website that has lyrics. In fact, the reason I post links to my GarageBand archive files is so that if anyone that can write lyrics feels the need, they can indeed take it, run with it, and maybe turn a "composition" into a song.

I don't have a lyrical gift. I just noodle on GarageBand.

So, my stinkers are purely instrumental. However, after xmas I might have a new mic to play with and then you will have to decide if my vocal tracks are stinkers. ;-)

http://fudge.org/music/