Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
Bob6stringer
Forum Full Member

'60s Teisco Rehab!
Monday, April 12 2010 @ 12:11 PM CDT

News on some classic, cheap and super-crappy garage rock greatness.

I finally returned to MJ to catch-up with all those those "your favorite artists has posted a new song" e-mails. SORRY! I was side-tracked when I got a wild hare to rehab my 1960-something Teisco Del Rey (Model ET-300). It was collecting dust in my basement in such bad shape that the high E string was hanging off the fretboard.

The guitar's a cheapo; ripping it apart wasn't daunting. I basically unscrewed the neck and bridge; filled the old, stripped holes with doweling and glue, and drill new holes. I also cleaned-up the pots and wiring.

ASAP, I hope to plug her into my old tube amp and see what I can get out of those cheap pickups. (Check out those cool "light-switch" toggles, which are flimsy but work fine now.) BTW if anyone can help me find a serial number tracker for Teisco guitars, I'd be grateful. The Serial number is shown in a photo or two in the DotMac -- or MobileMe, whatever -- gallery.

If you want to see this little day project step-by-step, you can
CLICK HERE TO SEE THE MobileMe GALLERY. Hope it gives you a little bit of the joy I had messing with it this weekend... when I could have been listening to .. YOU!
Feter
Forum Full Member

Re:'60s Teisco Rehab!
Monday, April 12 2010 @ 01:34 PM CDT

Man where have you been? I just came back from Chicago ...!
cool project !!!!
cant wait to hear the guitar tone !

«Blues is easy to play, but not to feel » (Jimi Hendrix)
Bob6stringer
Forum Full Member

Monday, April 12 2010 @ 02:07 PM CDT

Feter, where are YOU these days? I just popped you a memo. Short version: I'll be moving back to Chicago for good after I get my house sold in Tennessee, where I've been for three years.

This cheap-guitar project kept me off MJ for another day, but I'm sneaking back anyway!
Feter
Forum Full Member

Monday, April 12 2010 @ 02:22 PM CDT

Quote by: Bob6stringer
Feter, where are YOU these days? I just popped you a memo. Short version: I'll be moving back to Chicago for good after I get my house sold in Tennessee, where I've been for three years.

This cheap-guitar project kept me off MJ for another day, but I'm sneaking back anyway!

I m down south Detroit south east Michigan ...so I can drive down
to Chicago or Ohio ( when that is possible ) lol !

I love vintage guitars ..still in search for an old one ..for
time being I m enjoying my Godin 5th avenue a very cool hollow
body with inner pickup !

thnx for all !

Bob6stringer
Forum Full Member

Monday, April 12 2010 @ 03:39 PM CDT

I followed the Godin thread here and watched a BUNCH of YouTube vids, and was VERY impressed insamuch as ya can be with YouTube fidelity!

HEY EVERYONE, POST YOUR OLD GUITARS HERE!
Feter
Forum Full Member

Monday, April 12 2010 @ 05:21 PM CDT

My Simple video of Mr.Free ...my Godin 5th avenue

michael2
Forum Full Member

Monday, April 12 2010 @ 06:33 PM CDT

Quote by: Bob6stringer
News on some classic, cheap and super-crappy garage rock greatness.

I finally returned to MJ to catch-up with all those those "your favorite artists has posted a new song" e-mails. SORRY! I was side-tracked when I got a wild hare to rehab my 1960-something Teisco Del Rey (Model ET-300). It was collecting dust in my basement in such bad shape that the high E string was hanging off the fretboard.

The guitar's a cheapo; ripping it apart wasn't daunting. I basically unscrewed the neck and bridge; filled the old, stripped holes with doweling and glue, and drill new holes. I also cleaned-up the pots and wiring.

ASAP, I hope to plug her into my old tube amp and see what I can get out of those cheap pickups. (Check out those cool "light-switch" toggles, which are flimsy but work fine now.) BTW if anyone can help me find a serial number tracker for Teisco guitars, I'd be grateful. The Serial number is shown in a photo or two in the DotMac -- or MobileMe, whatever -- gallery.

If you want to see this little day project step-by-step, you can
CLICK HERE TO SEE THE MobileMe GALLERY. Hope it gives you a little bit of the joy I had messing with it this weekend... when I could have been listening to .. YOU!

oh yeah. i think we had a cheap guitar thread going before. I had this guitar, if not my first guitar, it was close. thrifty drug store used to sell them. you can get some great stuff out of it. great project BTW.
Bob6stringer
Forum Full Member

Monday, April 12 2010 @ 08:41 PM CDT

Feter, I do love your Godin.

Michael, Any idea what year the guitar is from? I'm putting it at 1965 based on a Vintage Guitar mag write-up, but I can't find a serial number tracer. (Not surprising for such a cheap thing.)

The glue's gotta be dry by now, so I'll make some noise on it soon.
michael2
Forum Full Member

Monday, April 12 2010 @ 11:14 PM CDT

you know, I am clueless on that. i was born in 65, and bought mine when I was like 10. same guitar, but obviously they must have just been cranking them out for years. I had another one that looked like a 335, and had the worst tremolo bar of all time.

the wikipedia entry has some links to the teisco catalogs, although they may be incomplete. I don't think i saw it in there:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teisco

MannequinRaces
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, April 13 2010 @ 01:11 AM CDT

Josh Homme from Queens of the Stone Age and Them Crooked Vultures fame is known for using Teisco's and other cheap guitars. As long as they stay in tune and have decent action I love cheap guitars!