Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author

* Post Removed *
Saturday, March 06 2010 @ 06:08 PM CST

* This message has been removed *
magnatone
Forum Full Member

Re:I'm new here and confused..
Saturday, March 06 2010 @ 06:13 PM CST

hi ya lilmom:

so about covers - they are not allowed here unless the song is in the public domain, or if it's too new for that, unless you have the copyright holder's express permission to use the song. you can reread the "terms and conditions", which explains it better than i just did. so if you've got public domain songs, you're fine - although MJ is much more geared towards original music, generally speaking. and welcome!

my most recent song: "First Light (solo piano)"
borisluxx
Forum Full Member

Saturday, March 06 2010 @ 06:21 PM CST

Hello and welcome to MacJams, Sylvia! It is tabu to post cover songs on this site but there is a site called iCompositions where they are allowed. You can, however, post songs here that are public domain music, but make sure that what you decide to post isn't owned by anyone. I hope this helps.. I would love to hear some of your musical arrangements. What I write may not seem like I enjoy anything else, but I can appreciate MANY kinds of music and I don't listen to just one particular genre. Anyway, I'm sure there will be someone with more knowledge on this subject pop in soon, but these are some basics to start with. Be well!

-Boris

Boris Luxx™ - 'The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.' -- Albert Einstein
taylormorgan
Forum Full Member

Saturday, March 06 2010 @ 06:23 PM CST

Hi..Welcome to MJs'...Post whatever you want to...I don't think Hal Leonard is going to even try and sue you over "How High the Moon" or some other oldie...Me thinks by now at your age you should know that to do what you want without hurting anyone else is the way it works...If the Admin.s have a problem with it I suspect they would tell you...But that's my opinion only...Best..Taylor

That said..The guidlines are what they state..Your choice..However on this one..I wouldn't let it stand in your way... T
michaeljayklein
Forum Full Member

Saturday, March 06 2010 @ 06:27 PM CST

Hi Sylvia! Although I've posted originals and hope to record some more new stuff on the piano next week after it's tuned, I often post covers as well but I do a bit of research to ensure they are currently in the public domain (and of course, still give the songwriters the credit they well earned). This site is a pretty good resource, although not comprehensive:

http://www.pdinfo.com/list.php

Often, I'll find a song that is not particularly ancient but yet is in the public domain (it's rather shocking!) I know we both love the older music and you do some magnificent work with them--hope this helps and that we get to hear some of it from you!

A sandwich walks into a bar. The barman says "Sorry we don't serve food in here."
SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

Saturday, March 06 2010 @ 06:39 PM CST

Welcome to MacJams!

This place has a vibrant community, as I know you will soon discover. The key thing is to listen and comment on songs, and to engage in collaborations. It's a wonderful thing.

I'm moderately old here and still confused. :-)

MacJams is intended for original compositions. I think there are reasons why the administrators require (not suggest) that we all post music that is not owned by others, probably due to exposure to litigation. Since I like this site, and would hate to see it shut down due to a copyright infringement lawsuit, I urge you not to post covers of copyrighted material. It's entirely possible that if someone posts an unauthorized cover here, not only would the site be sued, but that individual would be as well. We could be talking about thousands of dollars here.

Why sites like iCompositions doesn't care is unknown to me. Maybe they believe that legal problems would always revert 100% to the offending artist who posted the cover. I wouldn't be so sure about that. It would be a shame if iComps got shut down someday for copyright infringement.

It would also be a shame if MacJams got shut down for the same reasons. So regardless of whether admin catches you breaking the terms and conditions of this site, I beg you: don't do it.

Have fun!
magnatone
Forum Full Member

Saturday, March 06 2010 @ 06:43 PM CST

Quote by: SmokeyVW
Welcome to MacJams!

This place has a vibrant community, as I know you will soon discover. The key thing is to listen and comment on songs, and to engage in collaborations. It's a wonderful thing.

I'm moderately old here and still confused. :-)

MacJams is intended for original compositions. I think there are reasons why the administrators require (not suggest) that we all post music that is not owned by others, probably due to exposure to litigation. Since I like this site, and would hate to see it shut down due to a copyright infringement lawsuit, I urge you not to post covers of copyrighted material. It's entirely possible that if someone posts an unauthorized cover here, not only would the site be sued, but that individual would be as well. We could be talking about thousands of dollars here.

Why sites like iCompositions doesn't care is unknown to me. Maybe they believe that legal problems would always revert 100% to the offending artist who posted the cover. I wouldn't be so sure about that. It would be a shame if iComps got shut down someday for copyright infringement.

It would also be a shame if MacJams got shut down for the same reasons. So regardless of whether admin catches you breaking the terms and conditions of this site, I beg you: don't do it.

Have fun!

couldn't say it better than Smokey just did. i agree 100%

my most recent song: "First Light (solo piano)"

* Post Removed *
Saturday, March 06 2010 @ 06:55 PM CST

* This message has been removed *
awigze
Forum Full Member

Saturday, March 06 2010 @ 07:02 PM CST

hope to hear your Public Domain as well as your original compositions. This a place to collaborate as well and is very rewarding in that respect... welcome!
Andy

Music is the master link in the chain of the tribes of mankind! -SloParts
and so it goes...

taylormorgan
Forum Full Member

Saturday, March 06 2010 @ 07:13 PM CST

Oh well..I have to disagree with the don't do it thing...Utter rubbish..I feel it was at the beginning the Admin.s mission statement....Maybe in regards to caution or maybe they would rather the site be as original as possible as opposed to B-Spears covers all over the place...As to litigation...How and why ?? If no money is changing hands no one cares...Here's the real truth however..I and many embed youtube videos in the threads...For the most part I see NO disclaimer on any of them...Which would make this site immediately open to litigation via unauthorized postings....Of for the most part un-authorized postings to begin with...It's my belief that Co.s who hold the copyrights are becoming a bit more realistic...Look at the thread about Japan..A horrible band IMO...But hey,,,It might generate a few sales.....That is what may be known as the long tail or not....I'm of the opinion Co.s are more open to this sort of thing..Why..MONEY may change hands if the posting has someone go out and buy something that has been accumulating dust for a long time on a shelf makes a buck...etc.....

The truth is..No one knows what the Admin.s original intent was....Except them....I'm stil..post what you want....lower case......OR email the Admin.s and find out firsthand..They will eventually get back if they are to busy at present....They're goodguys...Respect is what it is....Freedom is what it is.....It's how we make use of our honor that matters.. T