Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
btransue
Forum Full Member

Come in Funky is Superb!
Thursday, May 29 2014 @ 01:04 PM CDT

Jazz fans, if you haven't heard Tobin Mueller's new CD, Come in Funky, do your self a big favor and pick up a copy! This CD is masterful, Jazz at it's funky best. Tobin dropped me a copy and it hasn't been out of the CD player in my car since it arrived! Rich, eclectic, powerful...and just downright fantastic from beginning to end. Fantastic work from one of MacJams own. Congratulations Tobin, this is one great piece of work!

You can pick up a copy here
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/tobinmueller4

TobinMueller
Forum Full Member

Re:Come in Funky!
Thursday, May 29 2014 @ 01:14 PM CDT

Quote by: btransue
Jazz fans, if you haven't heard Tobin Mueller's new CD Come in Funky, do your self a big favor and pick up a copy! This CD is masterful, Jazz at it's funky best. Tobin dropped me a copy and it hasn't been out of the CD player in

Way cool. Thanks, Blaine! It has been getting good reviews.

Like Blaine said, Come In Funky is on CDBaby (real CDs available there AND better liner notes) and also on iTunes. Jazz-Funk, featuring my sax player collaborator friend Woody Mankowski and the very classy Ron Carter. It came out May 4 to celebrate his 77th birthday. Happy birthday, Ron!

I've posted one track here so far: Frankenfanny

Also, I've posted 3 music videos on YouTube. Check out TobinMueller's Vids. They are the last ones I've uploaded, sorted by date.

btransue
Forum Full Member

Re:Come in Funky is Superb!
Thursday, May 29 2014 @ 01:23 PM CDT

Did I forget to mention...the incredible Ron Carter!! Like I said, masterful.
TobinMueller
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, June 11 2014 @ 09:19 AM CDT

Excerpts from additional reviews... (Full reviews on CDBaby and iTunes album pages)

Kathy Parsons, Mainly Piano, San Francisco CA / Florence OR
"Come In Funky" is the twelfth release from Tobin Mueller (I’ve reviewed them all!), and I have to say that this is one artist who never fails to surprise. I can think of very few artists who come close to Mueller’s versatility and drive in so many artistic pursuits. Musically, he is all over the map from solo piano to jazz to vocals to musicals, folk, classical and progressive rock - and he does them all exceptionally well. Mueller has included original funk-influenced tracks on some of is earlier recordings, but this is the first full album of jazz and funk. Mueller collaborated with legendary bassist Ron Carter and sax player Woody Mankowski to create a collection of thirteen upbeat, often carefree tunes - five with Carter and six with Mankowski; one is just Mueller and there is a bonus track that includes the late Fran Dagostino on guitar…

"Come In Funky" begins with the title tune with Carter’s fingers tapping on the bass (like a knock on the door) and Mueller’s laugh. Then Carter leads off with a catchy bass line that conveys pure fun(k). Organ and sax come in - cool and breezy - and then the trio gets cooking. “Frankenfanny” also features the trio in an infectious jazz groove. “Deconstruction of a Glance” sounds like a huge band of saxes and brass as well as organ and percussion - driving and very danceable. “Interlude I: Grandfather Clock” is the first duet with Mueller (organ) and Carter (bass) - what a duo! “Hitchhiker Tales” returns to the big funk sound of a full band and a really smokin’ organ. I can’t imagine anyone being able to sit still through this one - or not cracking a smile - my favorite! “Interlude III: Prowl” is a slinky little number for organ and bass guitar - intoxicating! “Beam Up the Funk” all but dances out of the CD player, strutting around with a major (good time) attitude - fantastic party music! “Blue Tats” is based on Joni Mitchell’s “Blue.” Quite a bit more stripped down than the big funk pieces, it’s a nice contrast with keyboard and sax and a little bass guitar. The bonus track, “What I Was Thinking While You Were Talking” features Mueller on organ and Fran Dagostino on acoustic guitar (“wonderfully mangled through the magic of electronics”). Sometimes cool and aloof and sometimes sparkling and bright, it brings this unique and exhilarating album to a close… Check it out!

TobinMueller
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, June 11 2014 @ 09:20 AM CDT

Paul F. Page:
Straight away, (1) this album is so absolutely tight in terms of sticking with the genre; (2) the energy and invention in each track is delightful, of the highest artistic and stylistic merit; (3) and the mix of all elements could not be more exacting and satisfying. You guys can play! These are, almost without exception, very complicated numbers in terms of rhythm and the general sync of solos with ensemble playing, a stellar set of recordings that, I believe, adds seriously to the body of jazz that this represents. Ron Carter’s bass drives every track, easily taking... the funky playing to a level of complete delight. Tobin Mueller’s own work on the organ just fascinates, especially with such a fine-tuned sense of timing… add{ing] tasty spice to the ensemble. There’s a lot of whimsy here, served up with style and exacting precision. Woody Mankowski is on fire from track to track with rich, tasty sax solos and the restrained touch of an absolute artist when backing other solos. Remarkable work in every single way I can think of. This is a bright and happy album played with a spirit of invention and joy from the first notes to the last.

TobinMueller
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, June 11 2014 @ 09:23 AM CDT

Bill Barner, Ten Tunes:
This recording is a lot of fun. What caught my eye when I first saw the cover were the words funky and Ron Carter. And I thought, if the legendary modern jazz bassist wants to lay down some funk I want to hear it. ... I like the drummerless pieces that make up about half of “Come in Funky”. The groove is there, but there is more space without the percussion. I also like the tunes that feature screaming TOPowerful horns. “Forrest’s Fire”, for example, is terrific. Finally, about the writing: in the 1970s a lot of funk jazz could be pretty repetitive and kinda boring. But, you won’t find that here. Tobin’s writing has enough harmonic and melodic twists and turns to keep it interesting.

h

TobinMueller
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, June 11 2014 @ 09:25 AM CDT

Thank you, everyone, who helped critique and review the music and encourage me during the many years it took to put this CD together. Much appreciated!