Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
DeputyDoofy
Forum Full Member

Hey Simon!!
Thursday, July 19 2018 @ 10:32 AM CDT

In the age of dying (and dead) GarageBand communities, I'd like to ask a favor. For many of us, our only copies of our songs reside on these sites (and are lost, in some cases).

So, is it possible to get an archive button of some kind to download ALL our music at once? I don't know how much of a server hit that would be, but I'd love to log in with my accounts and just hit a "download all my songs" button so I can save them in other places (like a NAS, Time Machine, iCloud, wherever).

I think we need a contingency and a way to feel safe about our music that still resides in MJ.
VicDiesel
Forum Full Member

Re:Hey Simon!!
Sunday, July 22 2018 @ 08:28 AM CDT

Quote by: DeputyDoofy

So, is it possible to get an archive button of some kind to download ALL our music at once?

The other day I spent an hour doing this by hand. Download, and print out the whole page with comments. Not too hard.

No, if Simon is to do anything it should be make signing up iComps peeps easier.

Victor.

-- My CD.
SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

Sunday, July 22 2018 @ 08:49 AM CDT

WAYBACK MACHINE

https://web.archive.org/web/*/www.icompositions.com

i'm not on icomps, can someone send this info along to them? or someone you know there?

some of the icomps data is salvageable
DeputyDoofy
Forum Full Member

Sunday, August 12 2018 @ 10:31 AM CDT

Ok, with a little javascript, I was able to turn all song page links into song download links. It made the process slightly more bearable, especially because I have so much stuff out here. For those interested, here's the trick.

1) Right-click anywhere on the page and "inspect element."
2) Click on the Console tab and go to the command-line area that will let you type stuff.
3) Type: a = document.getElementsByTagName("a"); Then press return.
4) Type: for (var i = 0; i < a.length; i++) { if (a[i].href.indexOf("song/") >= 0) a[i].href = a[i].href.replace("song/", "lab/get_download.php?lid="); } Then press return.

Copy and paste the bold commands. You don't have to type it. Razz

That's it. All the song links on that page are now the download links (until you refresh the page or go to a different page). If you go to a different page or refresh the page by mistake, simply go back into the console's command line and press the up arrow to cycle through previously entered commands.
davajonah
Forum Full Member

Sunday, August 12 2018 @ 11:44 AM CDT

Ok, with a little javascript, I was able to turn all song page links into song download links. It made the process slightly more bearable, especially because I have so much stuff out here. For those interested, here's the trick.

2) Click on the Console tab and go to the command-line area that will let you type stuff.
4) Type: for (var i = 0; i < a.length; i++) { if (a[i
.href.indexOf("song/") >= 0) a[i
.href = a[i
.href.replace("song/", "lab/get_download.php?lid="); }
Then press return.

That's it. All the song links on that page are now the download links (until you refresh the page or go to a different page). If you go to a different page or refresh the page by mistake, simply go back into the console's command line and press the up arrow to cycle through previously entered commands.

Very, very cool. It works! Downloading all mine now. I have them all and more, elsewhere, but it's nice to keep all the MacJams uploaded stuff in one place.

Nice one Ed. Thanks.

It's about time I changed this...
Skean
Forum Full Member

Sunday, August 12 2018 @ 12:25 PM CDT

.href = a[i
Then press return.

Thank you very much, it saved me a lot of time, well doneWink

I Almost Always Try to Think Positive Thoughts.
DeputyDoofy
Forum Full Member

Sunday, August 12 2018 @ 04:07 PM CDT

Glad it worked for you guys. With iCompositions now fully “retired,” MacJams is the only remaining ORIGINAL GarageBand community. That fear prompted me to download stuff so I have the tunes. I still have the originals scattered on different machines, but some are impossible to get to at the moment. Thus, all my downloaded stuff is now stored on iCloud.

Who knows how much life is left in MacJams and I even made a MacJams community on Facebook just in case (haven’t invited anyone yet) because we are at the tail end of a unique idea – music made easy with loops and semi-simple software (the original GarageBand was insanely better than the crap we have now).
KCsGROOVE
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, August 15 2018 @ 05:35 AM CDT

Deputy Doofy wrote:
Thus, all my downloaded stuff is now stored on iCloud.

Does that make any difference? on one server or the other?
I am a real backup guy, have always made backups of my stuff and have copies on several discs. I prefer having my stuff here at home on physical discs...
KC

every note counts
DeputyDoofy
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, August 15 2018 @ 09:22 AM CDT

Quote by: KCsGROOVE
Deputy Doofy wrote:
Thus, all my downloaded stuff is now stored on iCloud.

Does that make any difference? on one server or the other?
I am a real backup guy, have always made backups of my stuff and have copies on several discs. I prefer having my stuff here at home on physical discs...
KC

I have a local copy also but, in theory, it makes a difference.
I pay MacJams $0. In turn, MacJams has no obligation to back up anything I have uploaded. They probably have, but they have no obligation to do so. Thus, if this site crashes and corrupts like iComp, I have no legal recourse. My shit is gone.

iCloud, OTOH, is a pay-for service. I expect them to be backing up my shit regularly and in every way possible. Considering how much they push for people to use it...

That said, I'm making sure to hold onto my local copies now. Even have a Time Machine backup of all my downloads from here.

SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, August 15 2018 @ 03:42 PM CDT

.href = a[i
Then press return.

wonderful!

may i suggest you post this as a separate topic called something like, How To Download All Your Tunes... so people can more readily find it?