Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
DWL
Forum Full Member

Tone generator and Alzheimers
Sunday, July 29 2018 @ 05:00 AM CDT

I was talking about my tinnitus and my hearing problems to a friend and saying how my last test a few years ago showed I couldn't hear above about 10khz.

Out of interest I found a tone generator on the internet and tried again. Shit! It's now about 7 kHz. What's yours?

http://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

Putting aside that I read the notes about tinnitus and Alzheimers written by the guy who created the generator.

Really interesting stuff about 40khz and Alzheimers and some encouraging personal reports. My mother-in-law has full blown dementia now. Happy as Larry but has no idea where she is and often makes no sense when she talks. She's in a nursing home at the moment and I'm tempted to ask if they've heard of this study

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/the-sound-of-healing-study-says-sound-stimulation-could-help-alzheimer-s-patients-1.2868393

It seems too good to be true and probably is but it wouldn't cost much to try it out.

Hanging in with the out crowd (All rights reserved)
SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

Re:Tone generator and Alzheimers
Sunday, July 29 2018 @ 05:07 PM CDT

it couldn't hurt to test your speakers. you could record yourself using that test tone website. start at 1000 Hz, and verbally announce each frequency as you increase the frequency in steps of 1000 or so.

then load your recording into Audacity and look at the waveform. it can certainly display high frequencies that you and i can't hear any more!

be aware that once you go over about 10 kHz, the shape of the waveforms gets rather wonky because Audacity uses "connect the dots" to draw the waveforms, which is grossly inaccurate. but, you will still see that there is a sound there.

if you don't see sound at 20kHz, something has gone wrong: either the microphone, speaker, or both, can't handle the frequency. but they will probably be ok.
bud
Forum Full Member

Sunday, July 29 2018 @ 09:20 PM CDT

I recently saw an ENT after a bout of vertigo. My hearing is good up to 11kHz. As for Tinnitus - I rarely notice it until it stops. Which is a bit disturbing, presuming that it could be with me most of the time.

It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done.
SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

Sunday, July 29 2018 @ 09:35 PM CDT

my tinnitus comes and goes. at least it seems that way. it feels almost like it's a perception thing: if i am unaware, it's not there. yet other times, it is very intrusive. it's a puzzle
davisamerica
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, August 07 2018 @ 06:58 PM CDT

We all look for rainbows..... unfortunately they are hard to find. I know..... love of my life fighting this..... love and patience ..... Alzheimer

I have finally figured this out but now I have forgotten what to use it for.

DWL
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, August 08 2018 @ 08:46 AM CDT

I'm sorry to hear that Jack.

My mum died of Alzheimers some while back. She starved herself to death. Refused to eat as she was convinced she had just eaten. Took months and was extremely depressing and distressing to watch as we were powerless.

My wife's mother is now in a care home as she can't be at her home anymore. In fact most of my contemporaries have a parent suffering the same. If she was still at home I'd arrange the 40hz "treatment". Unfortunately I can't set up a speaker in the care home as I'm told the residents would not be capable of agreeing to it.

It's a cruel disease. I've passed the 40hz info to the Alzheimers Society here. They weren't aware of it and are interested in investigating further. I guess one day there may be some sort of answer but probably long after we're gone.

Hanging in with the out crowd (All rights reserved)