Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
crissew
Forum Full Member

Re:UPDATE---To any who still care
Saturday, November 17 2018 @ 03:39 PM CST

doh
crissew
Forum Full Member

doh
crissew
Forum Full Member

doh
crissew
Forum Full Member

Saturday, November 17 2018 @ 06:16 PM CST

this site is so broken it is really sad. This community doesn't deserve this. Simon is a cool dude but he needs to let this site go. I will take it over if he isn't willing to do it. I am thinking like 5-10 bucks a month for a site that actually caters to your needs. Has a non flash based player, has groups based on music preference and encourages new blood to join the site. Perhaps incorporate tools that allow artists to speed up the learning curve to improve their recording skills. This site ignores the young people in music. There is a lot of value in all of your music skills in collaboration too. Maybe you can ever make some money doing professional collabs. There is room for your talents in the marketplace, just that this site isn't promoting that.
MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

Sunday, November 18 2018 @ 08:01 AM CST

I'd like to see the site be in "more loving hands," or at least, "share the love" with others who do have the time and energy to do the site justice.   But when you do not own the software, all you can do is beg ask.

Customers who still care are making their wishes known, but if the proprietor isn’t paying attention . . .
RichardSchletty
Forum Full Member

Monday, November 19 2018 @ 03:54 PM CST

Quote by: Calchas
Hi folks. Haven't been around much. Been away from making music while recovering from eye surgery. Also don't get much online time these days...Hope to rectify that soon.

Just started working on new material. Should be posting and listening again in a week or so.

On the other hand, it's hard to watch MJ in what is apparently its death throes. The notion of a big revival that circulated awhile back has fizzled. It's main architect seems to have dropped out altogether, and few of the old stalwarts are still contributing on a regular basis. To everything there is a season.

As for me, although I'll never completely desert MJ, I'm attempting to start up at soundcloud.com as WINDSOCK.

Hey, Michael, I am dipping into MacJams after my own long hiatus. Good to see a few of the old folks still around here. Our songs and interactions are still tenuously hanging on in this rusty dusty archive. I'm still very much into music – but mostly in the liturgical arena. Here's me playing out for the SongCasters TV show recently:

Calchas
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, November 21 2018 @ 10:01 AM CST

Quote by: RichardSchletty
Quote by: Calchas
Hi folks. Haven't been around much. Been away from making music while recovering from eye surgery. Also don't get much online time these days...Hope to rectify that soon.

Just started working on new material. Should be posting and listening again in a week or so.

On the other hand, it's hard to watch MJ in what is apparently its death throes. The notion of a big revival that circulated awhile back has fizzled. It's main architect seems to have dropped out altogether, and few of the old stalwarts are still contributing on a regular basis. To everything there is a season.

As for me, although I'll never completely desert MJ, I'm attempting to start up at soundcloud.com as WINDSOCK.

Hey, Michael, I am dipping into MacJams after my own long hiatus. Good to see a few of the old folks still around here. Our songs and interactions are still tenuously hanging on in this rusty dusty archive. I'm still very much into music – but mostly in the liturgical arena. Here's me playing out for the SongCasters TV show recently:

Beautiful stuff Rich!
RichardSchletty
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, November 21 2018 @ 07:52 PM CST

So I took over as admin and owner of a neglected, broken, spam-riddled music sharing website in early 2014 (it had launched in 2007):

TopCatholicSongs.com

I had to learn Drupal 6. (I mostly design Wordpress sites as my main profit center).

The TCS site is not exactly like MacJams. My site doesn't have the ability for members to build the same sort of artist profiles that we have at MacJams. And there really isn't a whole lot of collaboration or sharing going on at TCS, despite trying to encourage it.

I think the problem here at MacJams is that the site was built on the back of a proprietary CMS framework that is quite difficult to update and keep secure. Or so I dimly recall Simon saying several years ago. This coupled with absentee landlords has rendered MacJams a wispy, tattered shell of what it was in the glory days.

I myself am trying to deal with the fact that development community support for Drupal 6 ended about 18 months ago and my attempts to migrate TCS to D7 or D8 have failed miserably. Somehow, TCS remains unbroken and unhacked. Knock on wood...
MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

Monday, November 26 2018 @ 05:07 PM CST

“Re-purposing old software and web sites” is, of course, “my profession” – www.sundialservices.com – and my initial surface-assessment of this site is basically that “it works, leave it alone.”

The core asset of the site is, of course, its vast catalog.   (If URLs are to be believed, there are today 84,379 songs in it.) I might speculate that there are about 286,100 comments.

Given that I just recently finished cleaning-up a series of websites that are represented by 5,900(!) PHP source-files (ick ...), moving these from a single dying Macintosh (and PHP-4) to a cloud deployment (PHP-7) without a single hiccup while the business continued apace, MacJams would be a piece of cake. But, that is really not the problem here.

As far as I can see, the problem is not the site per se, but the inattentiveness of its owner, and apparent unwillingness to share these responsibilities with other persons who would be willing to step into these roles when the owner cannot or simply does not.   There is not a lot that one can do when a business owner, although still-possessed of a still-valuable business asset and a triple-helping of goodwill, is simply not paying attention.

groovehounds
Forum Junior

Tuesday, November 27 2018 @ 06:10 PM CST

I still care and miss the energetic full of life Macjams. I am glad that it keeps chugging' along. I tried posting a song today and was pretty shocked to get this response...Thank you for your song submission. Because this is your first submission to MacJams, your song must be approved to ensure it meets the technical and other requirements of MacJams. This process usually takes from 1 to 3 business days. Once your first song is approved, all future songs will be automatically posted to the site as soon as you submit them. Thank you for your patience!
NEXT MORNING...song went through?