Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

Re:FAKE NEWS
Monday, May 28 2018 @ 09:28 PM CDT

“... maybe knock off the preaching now.”

Oops!   Sorry!!
particledots
Forum Full Member

Monday, May 28 2018 @ 10:32 PM CDT

Quote by: MikeRobinson
I will again very-politely repeat my opinion that this is a music forum, on one of the oldest and yet one of the (IMHO) still very-best “hidden-gem websites” concerning this topic.   I really, really want for this forum to remain dedicated to that topic, whether or not the World is going to Hell.   (“If you feel that it is, write a song about it, and post it here where it will surely be well-received.”)

I am a regular subscriber to a number of other forums where this topic is par for the course, but I do not consider this forum to be one of them, and I cannot conceal that I resent its continued presence here.   I would frankly, and very earnestly, prefer that this site be a refuge from this noise, except when “the rage” is expressed in creative musical terms.

“Dots,” I respect you as an amazing(!) musical artist whose works are featured on my favorites-lists both online and on-paper.   It is in this light and from this perspective that I ask you to reconsider and thence to change your ways.   Find a different venue – or, create one.   Or, even better yet, Play it, Sam.”

I don’t want an RSS feed.   (I have that already.)   I do want music.   I hope that this comment will be taken in an entirely constructive way and that it will achieve its requested purpose.   If the world really is going to Hell, nothing will be achieved by publishing hyperlinks of other people who say so.   Much might be achieved, however, by creating music.   (It may well be said, and has often been said, that:   “music stopped both of the wars of the 1960’s.” )

“The pen is mightier than the sword.”   And the musical note is mightier than the pen.

Hopefully we will see the same requests being made of certain other peoples posts - specifically the alt-right flavored conspiracy theory nutters when they start popping up

many thanks
Daugrin
Forum Full Member

Monday, May 28 2018 @ 11:44 PM CDT

Quote by: particledots
Quote by: MikeRobinson
I will again very-politely repeat my opinion that this is a music forum, on one of the oldest and yet one of the (IMHO) still very-best “hidden-gem websites” concerning this topic.   I really, really want for this forum to remain dedicated to that topic, whether or not the World is going to Hell.   (“If you feel that it is, write a song about it, and post it here where it will surely be well-received.”)

I am a regular subscriber to a number of other forums where this topic is par for the course, but I do not consider this forum to be one of them, and I cannot conceal that I resent its continued presence here.   I would frankly, and very earnestly, prefer that this site be a refuge from this noise, except when “the rage” is expressed in creative musical terms.

“Dots,” I respect you as an amazing(!) musical artist whose works are featured on my favorites-lists both online and on-paper.   It is in this light and from this perspective that I ask you to reconsider and thence to change your ways.   Find a different venue – or, create one.   Or, even better yet, Play it, Sam.”

I don’t want an RSS feed.   (I have that already.)   I do want music.   I hope that this comment will be taken in an entirely constructive way and that it will achieve its requested purpose.   If the world really is going to Hell, nothing will be achieved by publishing hyperlinks of other people who say so.   Much might be achieved, however, by creating music.   (It may well be said, and has often been said, that:   “music stopped both of the wars of the 1960’s.” )

“The pen is mightier than the sword.”   And the musical note is mightier than the pen.

Hopefully we will see the same requests being made of certain other peoples posts - specifically the alt-right flavored conspiracy theory nutters when they start popping up

many thanks

Sirs an Madam,
There is not left or right, this is a delusion. There are no nutters on the other side of any issue. There are tools and apparachiks and regular people who think differently than you do.
Your clique, ran most descent people off MJ ten years ago. What gall you have to complain about other people.
What a hate filled fool you are Mr. PD, Alex Jones is fake news, a revelation! AJ is being sued by Pepe the Frog, the relatives of Seth Rich and the Parkland shooter, as well as the parents mentioned, that's just for openers.
Don Lemon and CNN is not fake news? NY Times is not fake news? Rush Limbaugh is not fake news? Fox is not fake news? The truth is no longer even on the subway walls. You live in the age of mass deceit and misinformation. Individualism is the most hated value in the world. Your masters demand you think as commanded, and you do, most of you have never had a thought of your own. Imagine that!
Wake up and stop hating. If you choose to keep MJ toxic to others it will never grow. I drove a Septic Truck into MJ once to prove this to you people, and I could do it again, but that didn't help then and won't help now. The problem is not that you folks don't know what your doing...

Daug
Ed Hannifin
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, May 29 2018 @ 07:57 AM CDT

Quote by: particledots
OK

many thanks

I have other thoughts, Bryn, which are still percolating, but the short version is:

My vote is to express yourself as you see fit. The rude purveyors of right wing screed certainly don't follow anybody else's rules, suggestions or requests, and you have been doggedly courteous, in everything you do and have done. The same cannot be said for them.

AND you make good, intelligent and interesting music.

"We have to remember...when it's surrender that's called for, it's not surrender of your brains. It's surrender of your ego. It's a different thing." --Bruce Cockburn
magnatone
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, May 29 2018 @ 08:54 AM CDT

Quote by: Daugrin

Sirs an Madam,
There is not left or right, this is a delusion. There are no nutters on the other side of any issue. There are tools and apparachiks and regular people who think differently than you do.
Your clique, ran most descent people off MJ ten years ago. What gall you have to complain about other people.
What a hate filled fool you are Mr. PD, Alex Jones is fake news, a revelation! AJ is being sued by Pepe the Frog, the relatives of Seth Rich and the Parkland shooter, as well as the parents mentioned, that's just for openers.
Don Lemon and CNN is not fake news? NY Times is not fake news? Rush Limbaugh is not fake news? Fox is not fake news? The truth is no longer even on the subway walls. You live in the age of mass deceit and misinformation. Individualism is the most hated value in the world. Your masters demand you think as commanded, and you do, most of you have never had a thought of your own. Imagine that!
Wake up and stop hating. If you choose to keep MJ toxic to others it will never grow. I drove a Septic Truck into MJ once to prove this to you people, and I could do it again, but that didn't help then and won't help now. The problem is not that you folks don't know what your doing...

Daug

heal thyself ...

Quote by: Daugrin

The meme for the certain sign of mental illness is to continue doing the same behavior over and over and expecting different results at the completion of a cycle, no?
Daug

also:

way to go Mike Robinson

my most recent song: "First Light (solo piano)"
jgurner
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, May 29 2018 @ 11:02 AM CDT

Let's step back a moment and think about something.

What is MacJams really? Why are we all here?

That answer is going to be be different for each of us, but there's no denying music is the underlying answer to both of those questions. But music can mean so many things and be so many different things to different people. It's an emotional release. It's a way to fill in the soundless spaces in our lives. It's a way to get a message across. Maybe music means money to some, sex to others. It has so many different facets and I think that's what makes it so fascinating to so many people.

I daresay almost everyone here, especially those of us who have been active on MJ over the years, think of music as a passion. It's not just something we do. Something we enjoy. It's a part of us. It's in our DNA. If we were to somehow lose our music, it would be like losing a limb or one of our senses. Maybe worse than that. To me, it would be the loss of something so fundamental to who I am I don't know how I'd be able to cope.

Music is part of us. But so are other things. Family, work, religion, art, literature, food, pets, gardening, video games, collecting shiny rocks... Each of has an amalgam of things that make up our lives. All are important to us and all are part of who we are. And none of them exists in a vacuum. Each influences and shapes the other as they influence and shape us.

Which brings us around to this forum thread and the forums in general. Music is part of each of us. MacJams is our outlet for that music. MacJams, for so many of us, isn't just a place to store out music on-line. It's an on-line home for us. It's a place where we can be who we really are or want to be. It's a place where we can express ourselves. The forums should reflect that. And like I said, music doesn't exist within us in a vacuum.

The very first song on my song list, posted back in October of 2004, is a song I wrote and recorded during the height of the Iraqi war. I don't remember the event that inspired it, but it was one of the many senseless losses of lives that took place during that travesty (the effects of which are still claiming lives today). It's a political song. It's a song of sorrow. It's a song that lets me say SOMETHING. My most recent songs, posted last month, are 10 songs written for the RPM challenge - each one politically themed. If you look through my song feed for the past 14 years, there are a lot of songs like this.

Our passions spill over outside of music. And they're going to spill over outside of the songs themselves. They will show up in the forums where we can read and engage or not. If someone wants to post about politics or collecting shiny rocks in the forums, I'm fine with it. If you look through the thread topics, they are mostly about music. Sometimes they're about birthdays, or MJ anniversaries, or about a momentous life event someone wants to share with their MacJams family. MacJams is about music, but it's also about our lives. My politics are in my songs. So is my divorce, new romances, my current wife, my step daughter, my love of science fiction and lots of other things. And they're not just in the songs. These are things I've talked about to some extent or another in the forums here because those are the kind of things you talk about around the dinner table with your friends.

This is just my view of things of course. Many feel differently and I respect that. I understand it as well. In this crazy world today I can see wanting a place where you can get away from the woes of the world and just focus on your passion for one thing. Something free of the rancor and divisiveness that seems to permeate everything in our loves today. I don't disagree with that sentiment either.

But, whatever we say in the forums and however we decide to respond, I would just hope we could do the one thing that seems to be lacking more and more these days - discuss our differing positions and opinions with civility and respect. That is something that is totally within our power.

Now, I the spirit of togetherness, I'll ask that we all take each other's hands and sing:

If you like pina coladas
and gettin' caught in the rain...

Big Grin

MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, May 29 2018 @ 05:50 PM CDT

I appreciate the way that you said that, jgurner.

My sentiment – and my previous apology was quite sincere so I shall be brief – is that:   “there is a time and there is a place for everything,” but I would prefer that “this is not the time, and this is not the place, for this.”   A by-now well known thread contains 666+ copies of irrelevance which I could more-easily get from an RSS feed if I were so inclined.   To me, this is unwanted and offensive, and does not belong here.

I directly contrast this with musical protest, which is of course one of the biggest motivations for some of the world’s great music to have been written!   Instead of cluttering this site with noise that comes from somewhere else, please, write an amazing song that comes from you.   Don’t fill my web-page with hyperlinks to someone else’s words:   hit me straight in the heart.

I mean the above comment both generically and specifically.   I am an unabashed fan of – specifically – ParticleDots’ musical work.   As musicians, we can do what an RSS feed never could.